Saturday, May 03, 2008

A Weekend Away

I was able to get away yesterday (Friday) with my top down on the little red Miata to escape to the cabin. What a wonderful drive I had and when I arrived I was able to see the beauty of the area and our yard. I came up her on Wednesday and make the flowerbed I've been wanting to around the dead stump of a tree out front. I hoisted that top soil and planted the clematis plants and it looked beautiful. I came ready to enjoy the weekend reading books, magazines, walking, and lounging in the hammock. The only downside of the place in the woods is the terrible pollen from all the wonderful trees. A few weeks ago I spent 2 hours cleaning off the screened porch and so when I arrived yesterday and saw the nasty porch again I was let down and knew what I had to do.The floor was absolutely yellowish-green from all the pollen. So I began the process of moving all the furniture out and sweeping and sneezing and hosing it out.


After all the pollen dust had been swept and washed off I was ready for my reward which was an afternoon in the hammock.

As I lay reading some of my magazines I dozed off and was awakened by a light thumping on the hammock. I opened my eyes and there was a tiny goldfinch on the strings of the hammock pecking at them and hopping up and down which was making the disturbance on the hammock. He would peck and then look at me to see if I was a threat. He soon flew off into the trees. Very cool.

And now I sit at the neighbors outside table and pirate the other neighbors Internet and enjoy the beauty of the day. The air is cool but the sun is warm. The trees are filled with the wonderous songs of all kinds of birds. The neighbor of who I am pirating his Internet connection just came over here and brought me a beautiful stalk of white iris that is from his yard. I told him I was using his connection and he said, "I know what you are doing. I thought a lady deserved to have flowers." He is a very sweet man and dear friend. I love this place and the people.

No comments: