Monday, January 26, 2009

Brrrrrr

Brrrrrr.......the sleet, ice and cold are here. I can see on my shop cameras that I watch the front door with, an icy film buildup beginning. I bet my car is iced up...Wait a minute I think I'll pull it in the shop real quick............................................okay back.....BRRRRRRRR

I'm the only one in the office today as B is teaching today. I've gotten a lot of stuff accomplished. It is a typical Monday and The Hubby is on a dead run most of the day. He flies in and flies out in a matter of minutes every little bit or so checking jobs, meeting with customers or "putting out fires" as he says. The phone is ringing a bit because with the weathermen is preaching gloom and doom on the weather front and people are getting scared. It is almost a repeat of last year with the power outage and although it hasn't happened yet, people are in panic mode. Again, I have to go through the spiel that we only sell natural gas or propane standby generators, not the gasoline or diesel portable generators. And we do not have them in stock or on our premises. We have to order them and it could take weeks to months to get them. We sell and install generators for entire homes or businesses, and they are not a cheap fix. We do not sell generator parts nor do we work on portable generators. Oh, it is never ending, the phone calls.

This weekend at the cabin was cold with lots of wine consumption and huge wood fires. We had dinner at Harri and Jimbo's on Friday night then dinner at P-T's on Saturday. Really, even though we had two dinner engagements it was rather low key. Friday, as I said before was our anniversary but we celebrated Thursday night by ourselves and with friends on Friday. We probably would have stayed in town but The Hubby had a board meeting the next morning early there. Saturday I got some drawing done, a baby bootie crocheted (I only did one as I didn't like the pattern), started a story, and finished reading New Moon that I've been working on for two months. I really felt I got a lot done. Tonight is supposed to be a writers group but I don't believe I will go in light of the impending ice rink that is predicted. I've already called my personal trainer and told him I would not be sliding in at 6:30 on Tuesday either. In fact, tomorrow will be really nice. I can sleep in and maybe get a lot done in my new story I've started. I'm kind of excited and feel like I can do it. I also have a painting class at 1 tomorrow but if it is still slick there is no way I'll take my little red car out to be crunched.

I think my Daddy's bathroom is almost done. The workmen are probably finishing up today with setting the sink and finishing out the closet wall with new sheetrock. Now we need to tackle the carpet in the house. It is only 40 years old! Yup, I remember when we had it installed, I was in grade school. It has been through three kids and our friends, my daddy's machine shop shoes and numerous animals. The animals are the worst problem. When they had their little dog Cleo, she had lost all sense of potty outdoors not inside and one area of the rug is NASTY. It would be a huge undertaking getting that old carpet out and possibly new in. The Hubby is a great lover of wood floors which is evident in both of our homes. I will always love carpet and so did my parents. Daddy's house used to have wonderful wood floors but I bet they are not the same any more, especially in that large round spot in the living room. The Hubby sent an email to Daddy suggesting that we maybe try to rip the carpet out of his computer room and then let him live with it for awhile and see how he likes it, maybe get some area rugs. I know Daddy won't go for it, I wouldn't really. Don't get me wrong I love my wood floors but I love carpet more. The Hubby won't do it anymore, especially if we entertain the idea of animals again. I can see how that can taint your love of them when we had 4 cats, a dog and a ferret. Oh well.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are schools in session today?
Guess I need to call and check on my Mom and my oldest DD. Sure hope the power stays on for all of you!

Debbie said...

Lots of wine and big fires sound like a great way to spend the weekend!

Unknown said...

Stay warm and safe if you gotta drive today or tomorrow...my beanies are hopin for a snow day...errrr ice day

Dawn said...

It is FREEEEZING!! I can't believe how fast everything is icing up. My husband is on his way home. He's going to pick up our daughter at school so I don't have to get out. Aww.. I love him for that.

Be careful. I heard the roads are already pretty bad.

I'd love to do hardwood floors in our living room. I don't want them everywhere. I think they are so beautiful. :)

Unknown said...

Yes it's distinctly BRRR in the NW corner too Jill, but not too much ice accummulated yet. Sounds like you have had a busy day and weekend, hope the calls slow down some!

Kay said...

It just amazes me how busy you are all the time. It sounds so exhausting. I love the feel and warmth of carpeting but find it hard to keep clean...especially in Illinois with kids constantly dropping things on it. Granted, my two year old granddaughter has put a whole bunch of scratches on the wood floors, too. Ah well...