Friday, March 03, 2023

Retirement and Sunshine

Today we said goodbye to one of our oldest employees.  Mark has been with us for over 30 years and I can tell you we are all taking this hard.  We were fortunate to find him another job with another former employee who has been in business 13 years now.  So we feel good to keep Mark employed somewhere.  He's just not quite at retirement age yet.  So far we have three employees left and two are going out on their own and not sure about the third just yet.  The Hubby is really feeling this kind of loss and now questions what he's going to do in retirement and is wondering if he can stay busy.  Oh I reassured him staying busy is his middle name and he won't have a problem doing that.  He has a lot to occupy his time when we do close the doors with our rental properties, getting them ready to lease and we are losing one of our long time renters right at April 1, so that space will need to be leased too.  He has never been one to sit and do nothing, it's just not in his DNA.  Still this is a harder thing to do, to stop working, close the doors, tell customers we will no longer be able to help them.  He's finding that the hardest and today another hard, thing, say goodbye to an employee and friend.  

When NOT taking care of a three year old I've been trying to do some office stuff like prepare a goodbye letter for some of our customers.  I tell you I've printed that stupid letter threes times, having to shred his corrections or additions or deletions to the letter.  Tonight I finally got it done, folded and stuffed envelopes and stamped, ready for the mail.  While preparing dinner and after dinner, while he cleaned the kitchen, it is DONE!

I can't tell you how much better this week has been with Min.  Week before last we never left the house because she was naked baby most of the time.  She was deep in the potty training regression and I just wasn't going to make an issue of it and cause further damage to her thinking.  She's an extremely bright little girl and works things out before I can usually.  Then last week, things were a bit smoother and I was even able to take her with me to the office to do a bit of work.  Reminded me a lot of taking my girls to work and then watching Snicklefritz nearly every day at the office.  I'm just not as young as I used to be and it sure is evident.  This week was even better and we were able to get her to school for the entire three days of school.  Diapers are not allowed in her little class so because she was either naked or diapered we had to stay put that week.  I was able to get her out of their house each day and even though I had to go in and assist in the dressing a couple of times, we got out smoothly, without a screaming match or having "Mean Granny" make an appearance...LOL!  This week also brought a beautiful day, nice enough to allow us to go outside and let Min run and play in the sunshine.  She had such a great time.  It was her first time on a tricycle.  I remember when Snicklefritz learned to ride it and we would spend hours out there while she rode.


No comments: