Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Shake, Rattle and Roll

2:33 a.m. and I was awakened this early morning by the mirror on our dresser bumping around like someone had walked by, like usual.  But, this jiggling didn't stop, it kept going and then gently slowed down to stop.  I sat up in bed and thought maybe it was the wind or something because I just wasn't awake but I knew exactly what it was, an earthquake.  It was a 4.0 a bit south of here in the McAlester area, which is a bit unusual.  Of course, since I was so awake I could not go back to sleep very well.  I was hot.  I tossed and turned and everytime I tried to sleep on my right side my shoulder would give me fits so back to the left side, then back, then side...on and on till I fitfully drifted to sleep to be awakened by the phone alarm at 4:45.  Rats!  I think I will need a bit more coffee than usual today. 

Today's prompt from NaBloPoMo is "What is your favorite poem to read when you are feeling sad."  I don't know about sad but I do have another just plain favorite and I went on a hunt to find it's origin.  I absolutely LOVE this poem and the song it is part of. 

"Late Lament"
Breathe deep the gathering gloom
Watch lights fade from every room
Bedsitter people look back and lament
Another day's useless energy spent.

Impassioned lovers wrestle as one,
Lonely man cries for love and has none.
New mother picks up and suckles her son,
Senior citizens wish they were young.

Cold hearted orb that rules the night,
Removes the colors from our sight.
Red is grey and yellow white,
But we decide which is right

written by drummer Graeme Edge of The Moody Blues

3 comments:

Oklahoma Granny said...

I heard about the earthquake this morning. We're so far north we didn't feel anything.

Sweet Tea said...

No.More.Earthquakes.
Scary, I'm sure.

Beautiful poem - thanks for sharing.

Teresa@1800 Farmhouse Rd said...

An earthquake? I would be terrified. And now tornadoes in Texas? I honestly hate tornado season and hope we don't see another like last year. Stay safe!