Monday, May 15, 2023

A New Normal

This retirement thing.  It is a bit weird.  Really, I've been partially retired for a long time now, but this duo retirement is a whole new ball of wax.  Every morning for years and years and YEARS the alarm clock has gone off at 5 am.  I roll over, tap the shut off button, and we are off an running for the day.  Mostly he was off and running, but I was still up.  There are still times I roll over and look at the clock dial to see what time it is and it's 4 or 5 am but we don't get up.  I still do occasionally, especially at the cabin in the spring and summer.  I LOVE to wake up and sit on the screened porch and listen to the birds start to wake up, now I can hear them through the windows but I don't get up. 

Now we are trying to renegotiate a new normal in our lives.  He sleeps in, I sleep in.  Before retirement I would hit the stop alarm, turn the TV on the the news and we would get up.  He would fix his bowl of cereal and coffee, and I my coffee and protein bar.  He would sit in the living room eating and watching the news.  I would go to my chair in the bedroom and turn the TV to Charmed, something I've watched every morning for over 20 years.  After a bit it was the bathroom stuff, get dressed, brush teeth, etc.  Now it's cockeyed a bit.  We get up with no alarm, just a normal gradual wake up.  Now it's me with no Charmed, him watching his recorded stuff or on his phone.  It's like 8 maybe 9 am and we are still trudging around.  He still has stuff to do at the shop, mainly getting the units ready to rent, paint the fence, fix a leak in the roof, stuff like that.  I might go and paint, do a little book work, pay some bills, IF I WANT TOO!  

It's also awkward moving around each other in the kitchen, the bathroom.  We had a rhythm, but now it's a bit broken and we bump into each other, are in each others way.  It will take some time but we will work it out, I'm sure.  We need to create a new normal.

I have been hoping to spend more time at the cabin but that has not happen with watching kiddos and stuff, but it will, soon.  Summer will help with that.

No comments: