Tuesday, June 22, 2021

36 Years Ago Today

36 years ago today I was in the beginning stages of labor that morning.  It was a Friday morning, and it was also payroll day at the office.  I was, according to the doctor in those early days of predicting birth dates, three weeks late, like my first child six years earlier.  I also had in tow a 6 year old.  So I loaded up The Kid and off we went to the office to work in between contractions.  They were hard contractions and I was able to do my work then head back home and wait.  
Several hours later I called my doctor who told me to go ahead and come in to the hospital.  The Hubby came home and we loaded up taking the 6 year old with us to be with my parents.  My first child the labor was only 6 hours after waiting at home most of the day with minor labor pains when my water broke and then it was INTENSE!  With this pregnancy the labor was much like the first, manageable pains at home but the water still intact.  We got to the hospital and waited and waited but the labor stalled.  It was later in the evening and everyone, including me was tired so my parents took The Kid home and waited for news.  The doctor said I should rest and gave me a sleeping something to rest and told us that the next morning if nothing had happened in the night he would induce.  That scared me but I was too tired and sleepy (sleeping pill) to worry.  The Hubby walked my parents out to their car and I rolled over to nod off when suddenly my water broke.  When my water breaks well, all hell breaks loose.  The labor pains started up fast and hard very quick and we were on.  I can't remember if they went to find The Hubby but when he returned upstairs we pushed a few times and were whisked away to the delivery room.  The doctor who delivered was not the one I had seen in the practice at all but he was the one on call.  I was on the table trying to push but the stupid sleeping pill was too much.  I'm susceptible to meds a bit too much and could not wake up.  They even slapped my face a bit to try to get me to cooperate with the pushing.  Finally, she was born but there was no crying, NOTHING!  We heard the doctor say, "double cord" which meant the cord was wrapped around her neck twice and she was blue, not breathing at all.  For one split second we were elated with our baby girl the next we were terrified because there was not a sound, no breathing.  But the doctor was quick and she was crying in just seconds, loudly.  It was absolute relief to hear that cry.  
The next thing I can remember was being in a recovery room with a nurse nearly on top of my stomach pushing and kneading to get my uterus to contract down and stop bleeding.  The sleeping pill was keeping me pretty much out of it but after a bit I woke up in the darkened recovery room and it was so very quiet, but as my eyes adjusted to the dim light I saw The Hubby sitting in a chair looking down at the bundle in his arms touching her sweet head and kissing her tenderly.  All was good and we had another beautiful little girl.  
My mother came and stayed with us like she had for the first one and it was of great help because I developed a horrible bladder infection that took me down.  I also had a horrible headache and ended up sleeping on the floor, flat to help.  But all in all my down time was short because by that next Friday I was back at the office doing another payroll. My mother stayed at the house while I went in I think.  It's been a few years.  

We have two beautiful daughters and they each have beautiful daughters.  We are very blessed with our girls, all of our girls.  

Happy Birthday my dear I love you forever.

No comments: