Friday, October 22, 2010

Scars

I was having a hard time trying to come up with an idea today which explains not posting till now.  I thought I would check on the National Blog Posting Month website for a prompt for Friday and found something I think I could attempt.  The question for today is "Do you have any scars? How'd you get them?".  Easy peasy I say. 

My first scar is in my right eyebrow.  It's a bad spot which effects how I tweeze my thick eyebrows, right through the middle.  I got this fine reminder when I was 3 years old, the day before my mother had little Sis.  I had climbed upon the stand that held the television set and WHAM, Humpty Dumpty fell down, TV and all.  Probably explains when Sis was born. 

The second scar is on my tummy.  Sometimes I even have a hard time finding it but it is there and it has a story.  We three kiddos were in the front yard with Momma and Daddy, this house, in the driveway.  I don't know what we were doing but I was climbing all over our car in the drive and I slid down the trunk onto the very sharp license plate and slit my stomach open.  In those days the doctors still made house calls and I remember the doctor coming to the house to have a look.  I thought, and so did my parents, that I would have to get stitches but he said that it was not that bad.  Looked bad.  He taped it together with band aids or tape or something and that was it.  I think I was a very lucky girl.  Both instances happened in this house.  I don't know how old I was with the license plate accident.  Guess I could ask Daddy.

The third scar is like so many other children that get chicken pox.  I have a scar on my forehead that is from the chicken pox that all three of us got.  I believe my girls have scars on their faces too.  We were all lucky it was not worse, very lucky. 

My more significant scars are from a surgery.  I sometimes think I should not talk about it but hey, I'm not embarrassed by it.  At the age of 32 years I decided that I was tired of carrying around the massive boulders that hung off my shoulders.  I had a breast reduction.  I believe they took about 3-1/2 pounds off of me.  It was the absolute best thing in the world and would do it again in a heartbeat.  My scars are there but now are fading a bit.  They go from just under my arm pits to the middle, like a half moon on each side and there are some around the nipples where they detached them.  Those are not even noticeable anymore.  Again, it was the best thing I have ever done and every time I see a woman lugging around those boulders I want to go up to them and tell them, "DO IT!"

1 comment:

Kay said...

Well...my first scar was on my knee when I fell on a huge piece of glass in my childhood. My last scar (so far) is on my neck where both my thyroids were removed.