Saturday, October 15, 2022

Nothing But Food/Cooking

No one’s perfect...Tuesday's dinner was a bit of a fail on my part because of seasoning, undercooked noodles and (blaming) frozen green peas that were harvested late in the season and tough as a boot. I saw somewhere a recipe for hamburger gravy and this was my attempt.

1 lb. lean hamburger meat
1-2 tsp olive oil salt/pepper
1-2 tsp thyme (or fav seasonings)
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
Garlic
1-3 Tbls. flour (more or less)
1 cup (more or less) milk (it’s for like a gravy so depends on how much to get right thickness)
Mushrooms (I had a small can)
1 Tbls. tomato paste
1 Tbls Worcestershire sauce
Milk (amounts vary depending on thickness wanted)
Brown hamburger. When almost brown add onion and peppers and cook till tender. Add tomato paste in a little cleaned out space in the skillet and let it kind of cook to get rawness out. Add flour and cook on medium heat till the raw flour taste is gone. Add milk and thicken to your liking. Some of the recipes called for cream, I didn’t have any. You could also use beef broth or stock. Cook a few minutes then I added the peas and small can of drained mushrooms. While simmering I cooked the noodles (obviously not long enough!)
UPDATE: Okay, the hamburger gravy on Thursday turned into hamburger soup. All I did was add a can of petite diced tomatoes and lots more salt and let it cook for about an hour and it turned out delicious. I also added in about 1/2 cup of leftover pesto potatoes (see below) leftovers and I think that added bit of pesto made the soup even better.

SUCCESS-Squash Soup:

Tuesday's lunch I made squash soup. Every Tuesday Af & Nick have a baby doctor appointment and I get to fetch Minerva to hang with me a bit. I wanted to feed them when they came to pick up Min as they usually are famished when they come in the door, so I fed them, it’s what I love to do.

In my fridge and pantry I had:
vegetable stock
1/2 onion
2 cups cubed butternut squash
a can of pumpkin purée (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
ginger
fresh sage from my garden
salt/pepper
red pepper flakes
real maple syrup
I sautéed the chopped onion in olive oil and vegan butter. When translucent I added the cubed squash , salt and pepper and a splash of the syrup. Stirred it around for about 5 minutes then added the can of pumpkin purée and entire box of vegetable stock (I think 2-3 cups.) I covered an simmered for about 20 minutes till the cubed squash was tender. Then I added three fresh leaves of sage, red pepper flakes and about 2 tsp of ground ginger. Again let simmer about 20 minutes to release the flavors. When done I took out the sage leaves and used my immersion blender to smooth the soup. OMG, there was a smidge of heat from the red pepper and ginger and it is YUMMY! So satisfying and great for lunch the next day.

Thursday's dinner was nothing exceptional, EXCEPT for these potatoes!!!!
Pesto Potatoes

I was reading on the back patio Thursday afternoon and of course I think many things at once including cooking, as I’m digesting a good book. We were going to have tilapia and I needed to make it interesting, via the sides. I had a new container of pesto, a couple potatoes and a lemon. I searched pesto and potatoes to find I could put the two together, and use the pesto on the fish too. I sliced the potatoes thinly and tossed in some of the pesto, a splash of olive oil, squeeze of lemon, salt and pepper. Roasted on cookie sheet in 350 oven till tender, about 20-30 minutes. I cranked the oven up to 400 stirring the potatoes around and cooked for about 10 minutes to crisp a bit. Then I made a space for the seasoned fish, another splash of oil, lemon squeeze and cooked 6-10 minutes till fish done. YUM YUM YUM! Those crispy potatoes with a bite of fish were devine.  These potatoes were the ones I added to the remake of the soup above.  I cut them up a bit too before adding to the soup.

No comments: