Thursday, August 29, 2019

Another Weight Loss Story

I haven't shared this lately but in June I went to my GYN appointment and stepped on the scale to be shocked.  Honestly, I wasn't as shocked as I should have been, but the scale was 249, and I am being truthful here.  I knew I was hurting and struggling to even walk around the house, but again I had my  head in the sand.  Another thing was that I was eating a ton of fast food, and LYING to myself about it.  I pulled into Sonic one day and the carhop said to me that I wasn't in my usual spot....WTF!  Plus my blood pressure, which is good now, but that is with meds.  I want off the meds.  It was time to drastically take some action.  
I mean look at that caboose going on there.  It is obscene.   So I started some research on different kinds of plans, cost and types of food.  I've done Weight Watchers, and it has worked for me.  I've done the no carb thing, and that works.  But for me, and my lifestyle lately, I needed prepared food, in portions that I don't really have to think about.  Grab and go, portion control, those were top on my list of what I needed to try and make this weight thing GO AWAY, or at least get manageable.   


I will NEVER have this kind of body again, but I can be comfortable and more able to walk and deal with life.  I opted for Nutrisystem and have been quite satisfied with it so far.  My first delivery arrived in two different batches of frozen foods and regular stuff.  It was a lot of food because I chose three meals and snacks a day, and you add stuff like veggies.  Then, after a bit you add  power fuels and smart carbs.  The first month was very, very limited at 1000 calories.  I really wasn't hungry much and I tried to have salads and lots of frozen veggies (my favorite broccoli.)  There are also shakes but after a couple of months I started wanting to throw them up.  They taste good but for me it was a texture and milk-like (milk I hate) quality that was getting to me.  I've stopped them for awhile.
Those were the days...sigh...

The weight slowly started dropping, and dropping.  It's a slow process but it was a slow process to get into the shape I'm in.  I was in no rush to lose it fast, because I don't want my butt or tummy hitting my knees with extra skin!
17 pounds down

The calorie count now is 1200 calories and I try to stay under but closer to 1000-1200 everyday.  Now I'm doing mostly breakfasts, lunches and snacks and opting to fix dinner for The Hubby and myself.  But that's not much different as it's a protein and veggies.  I do eat out a lot at dinner time and have to deal with the lake experience but I try not to overdo it and get right back to the routine.  I'm making better choices when we go out to eat but I am NOT going to punish myself over what I want.  I've been good, except for last Monday night.  I truly TRULY was craving Mexican food, our old haunt El Rio Verde, and I told The Hubby that is what I wanted for dinner.  Cheese enchiladas, rice, beans, guacamole, chips and a good old diet Pepsi was my dinner and I did NOT feel ashamed, I enjoyed it and the next morning was back to my portion control breakfast and lunch. 

This will be a long journey and I've made my goals achievable.  My total goal is 50 pounds.  After I reach that then I will re-access and probably make new goals.  As of this morning I am down 17 pounds and I know that's a lot since June, but I have a lot to lose, and I'm trying to really tow the line here.  I hope to be 25 pounds down by Christmas.  I may slow down, but if I keep up the workouts it will help me to reach my goals.  In reality I will probably reach the 50 sooner but I'm not going to stress myself out over it.  It is one day at a time.  I have a lot of things I want to do in my life and I need to be mobile to do them.  
I'm also dealing with some arm issues and finally got into the orthopedic last Friday.  Lots of x-ray's and talk (I love the doctor) to find out I have some cervical issues in my neck, like degenerative disc disease, osteoarthritis of my spine with radiculopathy (pinched nerve) and acute shoulder bursitis!  Oh BOY! This is not fun.  I've been getting chiropractic care, intense massages and now on steroids and nerve meds to try and take the pain away.  It is affecting my art in a bad way, like NOT wanting paint and can't, because of the pain.  But, as of today I've taken the last steroid and I am better.  It's still there a bit, but it's like 95% better, livable and I can sleep!  

With this kind of pain going on I could just give up the weight loss journey, but I WILL NOT let this impede my success.  I have a new granddaughter arriving very soon and I need to be able to sit on the floor with her to play.  

No comments: