Saturday, October 31, 2015

Art Workshop

Yes I have been at yet another art workshop and it was SOOOOoooo well worth my time and effort.  We (my art buddies) and I, had the opportunity to attend a Daniel Keys workshop and I LOVE his work, so it was, YES!  He is young, so very young and talented.  I'm on a mission in my lifetime to own one of his paintings and a Jeffrey T Larson (I have 3 of his prints).  

We drove to Oklahoma City, six of us in three cars.  Three cars to accommodate all of our painting supplies and a little bit of clothing!  When he sat down at the easel I was a bit star-struck as he is big, really BIG in the art world and I was about to learn from him.  
He begins his demo...  
Each of the four mornings we sat and watched as he created.  It is an amazing time to see art appear on his canvas. 

From 9:30 to 12:30 we watched in awe and knew we would be up next to try and be as creative as he was. 

Stunning, absolutely stunning, and it would be up for sale, if your name was drawn out of the cup to purchase.  I wanted SOooooo bad but alas my name was not drawn. 

Our turn...
It is a little scary to know that as you apply paint, he is watching, others are watching, the pressure is truly on. 
My attempt at our set up.  
I was paired with a lady from OKC, Peggy, a sweet older lady.  We drew numbers from a cup to find our station in the room and most shared a set up.  Peggy set this still life up.  I was not fond of the purple corn husk.   I struggled a bit and he actually asked me if I have done the "color charts" which I replied, "YES!" I was a tad offended because color I can do and know.  RATS!


Day 2 and 3 was pumpkins and dry corn.  It's one of his favorites to paint. 
The lessons begin again. 
Amazing how he can make that stuff appear.  


Our turn.  This time I got to set up the still life and see the purple husk, I used it.  He loved the set up and what I created pleased me.  
I think I warmed it up a bit from what was there. 

Two days spent on this one and I'm not through, according to Daniel.  He wants me to do some more with the table which I hope to do today.  I hope I don't mess it up.

We were exhausted as creating is mentally exhausting.  The first night the six of us went to Macaroni Grill for a bit of bubbly (for me) and food then it was to bed to be fresh and ready.  The second evening was a treat at one of the ladies lovely homes that was filled to bursting with art from all kinds of people, including Daniel.  There was almost too much but she was very proud of everything and her house was beautiful.  The third evening four of our group found a wonderful authentic Chinese restaurant that we came back to the following night.  That last night we were so tired but we had wonderful food, lots of laughs with friends and the best time.  These four ladies (including me) are heading on a Mediterranean cruise next year, with hubbies in tow to take photographs to paint!

Finally, day four came and it was roses on the easel.  I paint flowers but not quite like his and I was wanting to learn.  Roses are probably the hardest flower to paint.  He makes it look easy, NOT!


Wow, wow, wow and we had to try THAT!

Our turn... 

Man, I struggled and struggled and in fact wiped it off a couple of times.  It was frustrating but I think I finally got it but of course he found the flaws but I like it! 

Day four, Friday afternoon 4:30 and we were packing up to head home to Tulsa in the pouring rain.  I guess we could have stayed but I knew the rain was about to end.  Not to worry too much about hydroplaning as we were at a standstill for half of the trip home from construction and a jack-knifed semi.  Nearly 3 hours later and we pulled up.  I was starved and tired and I had paint brain.  In fact most of my dreams for several nights are of painting and mixing paint.  It's over and I want to continue.  We were lucky enough to get him to commit to come to Tulsa in June and my friend Linda has already filled his class, and I AM ONE OF THEM, so I will get to continue to learn. 

No comments: