Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Pen Pals

First snow pic's:






While reading my many blog friends from Google Reader I had a thought.  It is that my bloggy friends are my pen pals.  Most don't live close but we communicate via the written word still.  Did I ever tell you that I have a pen pal.  I have had this pen pal since 1972, yes that is 39 years.  OH MY GOSH!  I had not realized that.  Najam was originally from Pakistan but has lived in Canada for probably 20+ years now.  He is married with two beautiful grown daughters.  We don't necessarily write often anymore but we are Facebook friends and keep in contact there.  I love to write letters and keep in contact with many people with written, hand written letters.  My friends may not write back but that is okay, I really don't mind.  I think the written letter or note is very special and appreciated.  I don't expect a letter back but love it when they do arrive.  Actually, I love mail, whether it is the clunk from the mailman dropping mail through the slot or "You've Got Mail", I love mail.  When I was a child (amazing where this ramble has gone) I remember saving the box tops off of Kellogg's Frosted Flakes cereal for a Tony The Tiger spoon.  Momma helped me put my collection and I think a quarter, as we taped it to a piece of paper, into an envelope and send it off.  I checked that mailbox every single day waiting and wondering when the spoon would arrive.  When it finally came I was beyond excited.  It came in a box and was the most special thing I owned.  I don't know what happened to that spoon.  Ever since that time I have waited in anticipation for the mail to arrive, even if it is bills.  I wait for a card or letter or note from someone and sometimes it happens, out of the blue.  My day is complete. 

One time after a harrowing legal thing I wrote a note of thanks to the lawyer who helped us save our business and our sanity.  About 6 months later we had a company Christmas party and invited him to the BBQ lunch.  He arrived and gave me a huge bear hug and then produced out of his inside jacket pocket a well handled envelope, the thank you note I had written.  He said he had never received a thank you note for his work.  He carried that note with him every day.  See you can make a difference in a persons life with just a quick note. 

Do you write letters?  Do you or have you ever had a pen pal?  Do you ever just write notes for no reason?

3 comments:

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

My mother and I wrote each other weekly for years. I haven't received a real letter since.

Kay said...

I feel like all my blog friends are my pen pals, too. I always tried to instill the value of a thank you letter to my students when I was teaching. What a beautiful letter you had to have written.

Patty said...

You have 72 followers and only 2 commented??? That is just sad. I had a friend I wrote to until she got sick.I was never told and I didn't know until I was sent the obit tore out of their paper. I cried.