It's that time yet again for the Random 5 Friday:
1. Do you ever take time off from something, like exercise. I have done just that. Getting up at 4:45 AM, every single morning with three of those mornings leaving the house, in the cold and dark at 5:30 to workout has become something of a chore. I've always really enjoyed exercise but I am hitting a brick wall with it and just needed a break. The Hubby kind of looked at me weird when I told him I was taking 2 weeks off, and I know what those squeaky wheels are thinking in his brain. He's thinking I will quit altogether and get FAT or at least FATTER! Slow down cowboy, I have been on this workout agenda for many, many years now and in the past 7 months have lost 25 pounds, I don't think I am giving it up. It's just this dang cold, dreary weather. I just need a break. We all need a break sometime, don't you agree. I'll be back in the saddle soon enough.
2. Solitude. This time of year I kind of crave it and I think it's because of the cold and hibernation thing going on. I'm perfectly happy sitting in my chair reading or just sleeping. Spring can not come too soon for me right now. Sleeping in till 7 right now and reading and reading.
3. Speaking of books, my book club is reading "The Light in the Ruins" by Chris Bohjalian. Donna, who recommended the book said it started out kind of slow, but I don't think so. It's very good and I'm enjoying it tremendously. I'm also listening to "We Are Water" by Wally Lamb in my car. My goodness that is 19 CD's long but I am already liking it as there is art stuff in it and it makes me think about why I do art. Who am I trying to impress if at all. There was one part about isn't art about making a statement, to kind of incite. I don't agree, because I paint to make me HAPPY! That's why I paint with bold and vivid colors and serene pictures. I paint for enjoyment, no inciting anything! It's funny that both books have art topics in them.
4. Sunshine is glorious.
5. Super Bowl Sunday...do I care, not really. I don't even know who is playing. I will probably watch some of it, maybe. Now if I was invited to a party I might care and actually we have been invited to our neighbors, but probably we won't go. Mainly because I do NOT want to be faced with the piles of food that will probably be around.
Friday, January 31, 2014
Thursday, January 30, 2014
I've been missing because I've been very busy as of late. Last week I started the huge painting project and this week I continued on. Man my arm was sore from the strokes that I have to do on the thing.
This is the original photo that I originally painted "Sunset on Grand River".
This is what came of all the brush strokes and prompted an outfit out of Houston to find me.
This is the new project, a 4'x6' painting that will turn into "Sunrise"
As you can tell by the size my arm was killing me by the time I was through with two hours of back and forth on Tuesday.
Monday was a break with my Rio-sitting and then again on Wednesday. She is SOOOO much fun!
Then yesterday I sold this little jewel called "Paints" to a friend.
She then saw the "Red Barn" and had to have it too. She paid for the Paints and is having me hold both of them for a Valentine's present for her love. No problem. I already have two more paintings I am holding and getting paid for in installments right now.
Yesterday was also exciting because I was interviewed for a local magazine called Tulsa Lifestyle Magazine. HOW EXCITING! Oh my gosh, things are rockin' and rollin' for me with my art lately. So watch for the March issue, I will be in it!
Friday, January 24, 2014
It's that time again for the Random 5 Friday.
1. Yesterday was an awesome 38th wedding anniversary except for a hitch in one of my best friends lives...but still we enjoyed a wonderful dinner, cards and a dozen red roses! SCORE!
2. Who still reads a real newspaper. I do, at least I sort of do. I have always been fanatical about an actual newspaper in my hands but lately it seems that they are a bit behind in the news. I usually already know what is going on from the Internet or television. Thinking of ending a 38 year subscription!
3. When do I get to retire. I'm so ready to be done with work but when you are self employed that is kind of hard to do. Seems we will be doing this work thing for a while longer, at least till we are able to pay for the NEW BUILDING!
4. Potatoes are overrated. Since The Hubby and I have been on the no pasta, no rice, no potatoes, no bread diet we've done pretty well. Occasionally we will have them but not very often at all. Last night while out to dinner I was really wanting potatoes so we got potatoes, and you know what, they really weren't very good. We both ate a couple of bites and then were done. I guess we've lost the taste for them. Oh don't get me wrong, I do love mashed potatoes but I just have the desire anymore. Amazing, don't you think.
5. Favorite colors...do you have a favorite color. Mine are green, pink and yellow, in that order and usually together. It's the colors of SPRING and I so ready for the spring. Just a few more weeks until the tiny soft green sprouts of new stuff start popping up and I am ready for it.
Thursday, January 23, 2014
38 years ago today I married my best friend. Simple as that! I can NOT believe I have been married 38 years. I've said it before, "time flies when you're having fun," and this could never be more true than with my man. A chance blind date and we have been together ever since, and that was 39 years ago in March. It's been such fun and my life could not be better. I have a fab man that loves me and I love right back. I have two beautiful daughters and granddaughter. They both have given me "son's" (son's-in-law) that I would never have had. My life has been so full of love from my family and The Hubby's too.
Happy Anniversary Robert.
I love you to here and beyond!
Tuesday, January 21, 2014
OH MY GOSH....sleep was so illusive last night. I have so much on my mind and it didn't help that I watched a most wonderful film on PBS called "Blood Brother". I just happened on it as I channel surfed and could not stop watching. It's a program called IndependentLens on PBS. I can't seem to find when it will run again but you must, MUST watch it. It's about two friends, one a film maker and another, Rocky. Rocky is kind of a lost soul but travels to India where he signs up to work at an AIDS hostel where children live who have AIDS. It was sad, inspiring, beautiful, sweet, made me cry and drop my jaw. Of course it is an award winning film and rightfully so. What can I say, watching this film did little to help me sleep.
I tossed and turned and dreamed and then would wake up and think about the film, then the HUGE art project I am to begin today. That has got me a bit freaked out. Then I had kind of a bit of a scary dream that I got a phone call from some lady that works for a trash service and she had my Daddy in her office way north of Tulsa sitting because his car was broken down and he was confused. Okay, THAT freaked me out and then I started worrying about Daddy and today I will call him. I didn't go see him yesterday or the weekend and I guess I feel guilty but hopefully I do have a brother and sis that check on him.!?
So, yes I am up, EARLY, as I have to go to the office and get a bit of work done before I go to art class to start said project. I am concerned that it will be in the way in our art class but I need to do it there for the tutoring help that Ross can give me as this is the BIGGEST thing I have ever done. NERVOUS!!!!!
Monday, January 20, 2014
Yesterday was such a wonderful day at home. I didn't have to budge out of the house until about 4:30 to pick up my art from the show. So I spent the morning cleaning my kitchen, cleaning out the bird cages, and getting stuff ready for fruitcake makings. After awhile I decided that it was then time to clean out my closet, yet again. That is a project that will be ongoing. I tend to wash my dirty laundry and then keep it in a basket. I'm bad I tell ya, bad. I also have a corner box or basket that I keep in the closet just for get rid of clothes." I purge all the time when I feel that I have not worn something in a year or it is stained or just plain OUT OF STYLE! Now I have another pile to take to Goodwill this week. My closet looks better but I still need to purge more.
The Hubby came home from the office (yes work is 7 days a week sometimes) and I told him I was going to take a quick nap. Well, that didn't last too long but it was a nice nap. I showered and then we headed to The Garden Trug to get my stuff. Unfortunately I didn't sell a thing but it was great fun and so many people came to see my stuff. That is a great way to get my name out there.
Dinner, and then I was on to make Momma's White Fruitcake. I know it is not the season but I have accomplished so much stuff on my to do list lately and this was one that still had not been checked off. It's easy to make but bakes for 90 minutes so you have to be willing to wait for the process. The process I have written before here. So yummy and the minute I took it out of the oven I had a piece! Well worth it for sure. One of the ingredients in it is spiced pickled peach juice. Let me tell you that is sometimes a very hard ingredient to find. Yesterday I had neither spiced pickled peach juice or canned peaches so I opted for spiced rum. There is only 3 tablespoons in it and you know what I think I could even use water with the same effect. Worked great.
Sunday, January 19, 2014
Yesterday was AWESOME! So many came to see me at The Garden Trug. The art will still be there until 5 today but I won't be back until around 5 to pick it up.
So exciting to see a few people from so long ago. Leland, who graduated the year before I did walked in the door and I was flabbergasted! It has been absolutely YEARS since I have seen him. What is awesome is that I never even spoke to him in high school but he comes by to support me! What a nice guy. Ladies from my book club, an old friend from my old ladies group, Beta Sigma Phi, old church friends and even a lady that went to high school with my Dad. She saw it on Facebook and had to come by. So very awesome that I had the support and friendship. I am truly honored by he love and support!
Before the doors opened I took the opportunity to snap a few pictures, just in case I might find something to paint!
...possibly an abstract!
Saturday, January 18, 2014
I just read over my post from yesterday and sadly my grammar was horrible. Good grief, I really need to make sure of what I am posting before I put it out there.
I was awake at 2:30 this morning. Yes, my eyes opened, I had to pee, and the heat had not been turned down....HOT, HOT, HOT! I tossed and turned and by 3:30 I gave up and turned the Kindle on and read a bit. Then I hear The Hubby, who had fallen asleep on the couch rustling around in the kitchen taking his fiber he forgot. I knew he was heading to the bed. He snuggled in with Clayton by his side and I was still wide-eyed. Finally, listening to his snoring, about 4:15 I turned the Kindle off and dosed off to sleep. 6 AM and I was awake again as Clayton was whining to get up and go outside and then eat his breakfast. That was okay as I needed to be up because today is a big day. I will be at The Garden Trug today with my art. I have to be there at 9 to set up and then back again for an Artist Reception from 1-3. Then tomorrow back again when they close to pick up my art, hopefully less of it. If you are in need of a beautiful painting, come on by and visit me and just look or purchase!!!!!
Friday, January 17, 2014
It's that time yet again for the Random 5 Friday...
1. Project Runway, Top Chef, American Idol, Survivor, Amazing Race, America's Next Top Model...Do you watch reality TV. I think 99% of the population does watch reality TV now. When it started so many years ago it more of an option but now it's everywhere and there are some kind of competition show on nearly every single channel. I am addicted I have to admit!
2. My art adventure has taken a turn for the good as of late. I was approached online by an outfit out of Houston about a project here in Tulsa. They somehow found my art from my art blog (Artist In Training) and liked my Sunset on Grand River painting. They wanted me to produce something like it for a HUGE project here in Tulsa, a 4' x 6' painting!!!!! Well, after a year of nothing but emails and promises that things were happening and me seeing nothing happening I received a check yesterday for half of the project, FINALLY! It is a very big deal and I will let you know where it will hang after it happens. Needless to say I am now flush with a bit of dough and need to purchase a very large canvas and large tubes of paint and get to painting!!!!! Plus I have a show this weekend at The Garden Trug. I will be there from 1-3 on Saturday!
3. To go gray or not to go gray! Do you color your hair? I certainly do. You know I got to thinking that I have been coloring or bleaching my hair since I turned 18 years old. I come from a long line of hairdressers, my grandmother and two of her daughters (my aunts) and two cousins. They even had their own beauty shop which I had my hair done a lot. When I was just out of high school my very, very long hair was kind of dishwasher blonde and my Aunt Sharon wanted to do this new technique called "painting", well, I had such a huge head of hair that she opted to to go the easy route and brush it through my hair...
It was totally bleached and I never turned back!
After that we frosted it for years...
and since then it's been foiled and the gray has never had a chance to show it's silvery face...
Sometimes it's darker but I really prefer the blonder shades...
one of these days I may let the silver show, one of these days, not today!
4. Small world...yes it is!
5. Don't ignore an open door...take a chance and walk through it!
Thursday, January 16, 2014
Sitting in the hot tub this morning I was in the zone, so to speak. It was after my workout with Wade and the moon was still out in the west but the sun was coming up in the east. So quiet and peaceful, chilly but warm from the water what an awesome morning. I could hear the crows cawing and in the distance smaller birds waking up. Then the trash trucks were squeaking and and squawking as they stopped at each house. I so love the early mornings.
Wednesday, January 15, 2014
I will be HERE so come by and see me on Saturday!
We Love Our Truggies
Your team at the Garden Trug
says "Happy New Year" & "Thank You"
Trugapalooza Sale and Art Show
January 18th & 19th
January 18th & 19th
1-3pm Saturday Only
What's a TRUGAPALOOZA?
It is something truly outstanding of its kind.
An extraordinary event just for you!
You will receive 30-50% OFF select items
Receive 60% OFF holiday items
There's even more...
Shut the door!
Shut the door!
We're honored to showcase the
talents of four local artists and fellow truggies
with an Art Show and Sale
talents of four local artists and fellow truggies
with an Art Show and Sale
Meet the Artists:
David Hoot - Stained Glass Works
Carla Hefley - Oil Paintings
Jean Kelley - Acrylic and Mixed Media
Merry Schepers - Mixed Media and Porcelain Vessels
Please join us as we toast the new year with spiced cider, sweets, art show, and sale
Trugapalooza Sale & Art Show
Dates: January 18th & 19th
Time: Regular Business Hours
Artist reception: 1-3pm Saturday
Artist reception: 1-3pm Saturday
Location Map: TheGardenTrug.com
Monday, January 13, 2014
WARNING: This blog post is not for the squeamish. If you don't want to know then STOP READING NOW!
For the past few years I have had an issue with my, well, poo! There I said it. At this age I guess it is inevitable to have some issues with bodily functions. I think the menopause thing is done, I think, and now I'm faced with another bodily function that is plaguing me. The other day, on a Friday after lunch, I was at the grocery store getting the goods for a weekend at the cabin and I was walking in the parking lot to the car. All of a sudden, it happened, I mean IT happened. No warning at all, just an event. There was nothing to do but load my groceries, put the shopping cart in the slot, climb in the car, and drive home. EGAD! This was not the first time I have had this happen and probably won't be the last. Then the other night after eating dinner with my friend in the restaurant (thank goodness she is my good friend) I felt it happening again with no stopping. Good thing it was not bad. It's funny that there is no stomach pain, no rumbling, just an EVENT! It seems to happen on Friday's especially after we eat at a particular restaurant which is Thai food. Funny that the other night it was at a different restaurant, but, I was eating Thai salmon. Hmmm, may be a theme. Well, this got me to thinking that instead of calling the doctor and of course probably having another colonoscopy and tests that I do a Food and Poo Journal to see if it is just what I am eating that my tummy DOES NOT LIKE!
I know this is a pretty icky subject but if we are not honest and open here we will not learn to talk about unmentionable subjects.
Sunday, January 12, 2014
The weekend has turned out to be quite spectacular! The Hubby and I boogied off to the cabin Friday afternoon for a nice relaxing time. It was the last weekend of deer hunting season for him too so I knew I would be by myself most of the day on Saturday. That is just fine with me. He enjoys getting up at 4 am and wrapping his body in layers for warmth and layers of dirt-stinking camouflage clothes and sit in a tree in the freezing cold. More power to him, but he loves it! I chose to spend most of my day in bed, reading, watching a movie and napping! It was wonderful. I could have visited with my girly friends but I just wanted to be alone and sleep! Today we were up early and ready to head back to town. I love taking my shower at the cabin because my hair comes out so soft and shiny. I think it's because the water is softer or something like that! This is me on No Make-up Sunday or whatever day I choose. When I was young I went a lot without makeup and The Hubby liked it that way, now he kind prefers the makeup! I think my skin looks pretty good for a 57 year old woman! I'm also going back to the long hair. It's been growing since June.
Oh and on a footnote....LOOKIE WHAT I FOUND!!!!! The last of the missing jewelry pieces. I just knew it was still in the car. I was waiting for a sunshiny day for more light to look around and today was the day. I got back from the grocery store and proceeded get down and dirty to look and there it was, where I had looked many times before. I think it just got jostled loose from it's hiding place with a couple weeks worth of driving and bumping around! Now I can go an get a new chain! No more repairing it, I am replacing! I feel complete now!
Friday, January 10, 2014
1. I am in the midst of helping with the planning of my 40th high school reunion. I am not that old, am I. We had a meeting last night and it was actually great fun. I'm kind of getting excited about this one. It's not like I haven't seen anyone since high school, cause we have had a reunion every 5 years since 1974, except the 35th! Here's to making NEW friends!
2. I hate bananas. Yes I do. Well, I guess hate is a very strong word. I can eat them and then all of a sudden I want to hurl. It's the texture I think because I do like the smell and the taste, well sometimes.
3. I have a standing pedicure/manicure appointment every 5 weeks and a massage, facial, reflexology, and hair appointment every 4 weeks. I have earned this, trust me!
4. I have been out of high school 40 years; married 38 years this month; have an almost 35 year old and almost 29 year old daughters; 15 month old granddaughter; an almost 79 year old father; and almost 87 year old mother-in-law. I am almost 58 years old!!!! EEK! It's all just numbers.
5. This random thing is kind of hard and taxes the brain. It's good to tax the brain. It makes it fire and sputter and work and keeps it all oiled up! I do Sudoku all the time, in fact I'm obsessed with it at times. I have it downloaded on my KindleFire and work the puzzles for hours sometimes. I used to do the newspaper crossword and Sudoku but quit a few years ago. My daddy does his every single morning.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Tuesday, January 07, 2014
My dear best friend Christine is a grandmother! Last night after 9 hours of labor her oldest daughter had this sweet little girl at home. Christine had all three of her children at home with a midwife and that same midwife that attended her births was in attendance of this lovely being introduced into the world. Please welcome to the world Ellis Christine! Congratulations my friend!
Monday, January 06, 2014
Brrrr, it is certainly cold here this morning. The weatherperson says is it 6 degrees but with the wind chill it is 15 below! That is COLD! Thankfully temps will rise the next few days and we are getting closer and closer to spring! I can't wait for this:
Did anyone watch the season premiere of Downton Abbey? I certainly did and then dreamed and dreamed about it! So good!