Saturday, February 05, 2011

The Blissful Sound of Running Water...

 It is 5 am (6 by the time I finish writing this) Saturday morning.  Ahhh, getting to sleep in on a Saturday morning.  All week long during this snowpocalypse The Hubby has kept up the usual habit of up at 5 am, his and my usual routine.  Clayton though had other plans so up at 5 I go into the kitchen to feed him and then back to bed.  I walked down the hallway and think hmmm, that's an unusual sound.  Must be the ice maker is acting up and filling.  I walk past the ice maker and the sound is not coming from it.  The sound is usually a blissful sound of running water, but, not during a blizzard.  I went to the end of the house, the laundry room and I hear water running.  I opened the cabinet under the sink to not see water running out.  Thank goodness but I hear water running.  I usher Clayton out his doggie door and quickly get his food ready and then rush back into the bedroom to announce, "I think we have a broken water pipe."  He jumps out of bed and goes to the laundry room to check out the running water sound.  I have grabbed my house shoes and robe by then and go out into the garage just sure there would be water in there or seeping through the side door, nothing.  Here he comes all dressed in his winter garb, wadding boots, snow cap and flashlight in hand.  The garage door goes up and he disappears around the side of the house.  I stand and wait.  Wait.  Wait.  Wait.  Finally, I duck back inside where it is a tad warmer and I hear, WHAT, no water running sound.  Here he comes.  "The strangest thing," he says, "the faucet was turned on and running."  We are absolutely bumfuzzled by this.  The old tap outside has a weird finicky kind of valve so maybe the frozen ice shifted it on!?  At least it is off and was NOT a broken pipe.  I was just scared to death by the prospects of trying to get Frank The Plumber over here to fix it. 

Yesterday, to add insult to injury Old Man Winter decided to dump another 4-5 inches on top of the 14 inches we already have on the ground.  Oh man it was just beautiful...
This picture is looking out to the main street and that is the road in front of our house, somewhere...
The Hubby came and picked me up yesterday for our usual lunch at Bangkok Buffet, I was a happy person.  He called them and they said they were open.  I getting rather tired of my own cooking.
A good many restaurants are closed and the grocery store shelves have been depleted of their wares.  We haven't had a newspaper since Monday and yesterday it was announced they would finally be printing and delivering one.  My Tuesday edition, I think, is out there somewhere, buried. 

It is time this beautiful white stuff LEAVE. 

I'm ready for Hammock Girl



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm ready too! It is supposed to get above freezing today so I might even be able to leave the house.

The Napkin Dad said...

I heard dripping as well, but unfortunately it really was water dripping where it shouldn't be. We have a huge ice dam on our roof and it's leaking through the door jam between my studio and the front hall. Carpet torn back, padding discarded, buckets in place, towels too, attempt made to get on roof, but wasn't going to do it alone so today I'll do it with my wife holding the ladder. Wish me luck! Oh, and of course...call our insurance agent!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Oh, that late night sound of running water is not good. Glad it was just the spigot.

Cindy said...

Very strange. I'm glad for you that it was not a broken pipe.

Anonymous said...

I found my Tuesday paper yesterday when the driveway was cleared and it was dry and readable. I enjoyed reading it even if it was old news.

Flea said...

But today! Today was glorious! Snow melting everywhere! Out and about and STARBUCKS!!!

Kay said...

I remember when our water pipe burst in our yard one cold winter. It was like a tiny bubbling geyser. Upsetting and expensive. I'm so relieved for you that yours is OK.