Thursday, July 15, 2010

Can you Identify this image?


I call it string beans or even green beans but no, it has another name now.  They are now called ...      Haricots Verts

The first time I heard the name haricots verts I was reading my favorite author, Stuart Woods, newest novel when the word popped up.  I knew it was food, but what kind I did not know.  I had to mark the passage and look it up because I was stumped.  Then on the cooking channel one day there that word was again.  Oh now I see, green beans.  The knowledge I had gained was very helpful in France when reading menus.  Answer me this though, when in heaven's name did green beans get a new name.  I was not let in on this little secret.  Are we suddenly so hoity-toity that we have to now give our food French names.  Is Del Monte going to be labeling the green bean can, haricots verts.  Surely this will confuse the common man that is not fixated on The Food TV channel.  What's next, maïs!  That would be pronounced maize or CORN!  Guess I had better get busy with the Rosetta Stone French language package shouldn't I.

3 comments:

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I ran into it a couple years ago in Denver. I thought it was hilarious. I think it a little pretentious maybe.

Anonymous said...

That is crazy. I guess being Canadian will be good if this trend continues. All labels here are in english and french so we grow up seeing both versions and after years of exposure we end up knowing both versions....

Janie B said...

I'd never be able to remember that! Ha!