Friday, July 23, 2010

What Do We Call It

I have a burning question that needs to be answered.  I've been pondering this very curious subject most of the time when I am riding around in my new Jeep and listening to the Sirrus radio.  I think the music industry may be needing an answer to the question of "What Do We Call It?" 

I love to listen to the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's music channel in my car.  I'm just addicted to the 80's in fact.  Do you see there might be a problem, 70's, 80's.  We are in the year of 2010, actually the end of 2010 and have we got a name for this decade of music?  I say no, as I've not heard of one.  Has anyone else?  Has anyone thought up a name for the decade 2010.  I'm at a loss myself.  We can't call it the 10's or even for the next decade, the 20's.  What do we call it?  I think this is a very important quandry we've gotten ourselves into and it needs to be figured out.  Let's see if we can work on this problem.  Help out the world of music I say! 

4 comments:

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I have a similar quandry at work on our budgeting and planning. Calling 2010 "10" is not euphonius. I'll be very interested if anybody has an answer to your problem.

Char said...

i've been calling it the "naughties" but that will have to change in '11. maybe the tweens?

Afton said...

I've heard the "naughts" as well. And I think the tweens sounds very apropos.

I think the big problem is with the QUALITY of music on the radio.

I tend to find a great deal of great music(/pop culture) through websites/magazines like http://www.undertheradarmag.com/ and http://pitchfork.com/.

I also find a problem in the fact that fans of the 70's, 80's, 90's have been so vocal that now the record companies are responding with artists doing throwback style songs/albums. Take Amy Winehouse (60's), Duffy (60's), Lady Gaga (80's), etc. just to win back the masses.

Just die already, record companies! Let's get back to making music for music's sake.

Mom Mayhem says: said...

That is a good question! As far as music/radio stations -I guess I'm officially old now that music from my generation (80's-90's) is on GenX. I noticed that 106.9 just says they play the music for generation now -I guess they don't know what to call it either ?!