Sunday, September 26, 2010

Waiting For Superman

This morning the Today Show brought to my attention what has been bubbling in the back of my mind for awhile, our education in the United States and our children in general.  The movie, Waiting For Superman, is being released in select theatres and I want to make sure I see it.  It is about the eduaction lottery, children trying to get into charter schools and whether they are doing what they promised.  Hell, I don't think our regular schools are doing what they promise either.  The Today Show is kicking off the week about education.  Meet the Press is also dedicating their Sunday morning hour to education and the debate.  I don't have children in the "system" anymore but that does not mean I don't care.  My goodness, the children we are educating or not educating are our future too.  They are who will keep the wheels of our country squeaking and we are doing a disservice by not giving them a whopping good education.  We have got to step it up and start paying our teachers more, keeping our schools in better operating conditions, and providing top quality supplies like books to help our children and having the best of the best teachers.  My mother's mantra was that if you can get a child to read you give them the world.  She was a bulldog with my siblings and I about reading and it shows because all of us read avidly and so do my girls.  So very important! 

6 comments:

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Amen, preach it sister, well said.

Char said...

so true

Kay said...

I'm with you! A few years ago, our public elementary school in Evanston, Illinois was ranked #16 in the nation. I could hardly believe it. However, we lived in a well-funded district. The teachers were paid well and we were constantly being given workshops to keep us current. The whole country should have that. Another thing: The parents! Very, very few were not actively dedicated to making sure their children were learning.

Mamarazzi said...

word.

we were truly blessed to be able to get our daughter into an amazing Charter school.

Carma Sez said...

I would be interested in seeing the movie too. My son got in to a charter school this year - via lottery. It was such a happy day when we found out he got in, I had tears in my eyes. This school is simply amazing. They ended up taking 13 kids from the 99 on the waiting list for his grade.

Territory Mom said...

I agree with you. Dolly Parton's reading program is great. Her dad always said that if a child learns to read they can educate themselves. email with your address you won a jar of my homemade pear vanilla butter, it delicious!!