Tuesday, September 07, 2010

As The World Turns

It will be official on September 17, 2010 when As The World Turns, my favorite soap opera will go off the air.  I can not believe I am losing another one.  First it was Guiding Light and now ATWT.  This show debuted on April 2, 1956, two months before I was born so it really has been a part of my entire life.  My mother watched it and so did I.  I'm already crying everyday as I watch each episode and each character slowly fade into my past.  It's a friend and will no longer be a part of my life.  I know, I know, it is a TV show but the characters are with you every single day of the week and become sort of real.  Hold on there...I know they are characters, actors, and the characters are not real but you get vested in their stories and I've had a lifetime of being vested here.  So on September 17 (would have been my grandmother's birthday), I will be crying as they sign off forever.  People, you may not realize it but daytime television is changing and we will be stuck with Dr. Phil or Dr. Oz, not my favorite shows I can tell you.  I will be watching movies at the office from now own. 

10 comments:

Kathryn Magendie said...

I've never watched soap operas - I guess because my mom worked and never did, so I didn't tune in to them, then working outside the home myself, I didn't get to watch daytime tv, although, I did stay home with my son until he was 2 and for a while there I watched General Hosp - when the big Luke and Laura thing was going on *laugh* ...but that was only for a few months.


However, I can only imagine watching something for that long, something iconic, something you connect to mom and home and childhood and growing up - how sad! I know when shows I've loved go off the air how I miss them and those are never on for this long.

Dang - so sorry!

Char said...

i used to watch - all through school and then some because my mom watched the nbc soaps.

these judge shows drive me crazy ... and dr. oz - yuck

Unknown said...

I refuse to watch Phil or Oz...yep daytime is changing for sure

Ash said...

There's something else on during daytime besides Olivia and Yo Gabba Gabba? I keeed.

I'm so very sorry for the end. I never watched "As the World Turns," but my mother made me a fan of the genre thanks to "The Doctors" (adore the name Nola because of it), "Another World" and "Days of Our Lives."

I once was a devote watcher of "Santa Barbara" as well. Come to think of it, I can't believe "Days" is still on - I seem to be the kiss of death.

I feel most sorry though for the struggling actors who use that format for their bread-n-butter and training grounds. Not good.

Anonymous said...

I never got hooked on soap operas.

I used to be hooked on Gunsmoke, Palladin, Rifleman, Wagon Train Wanted Dead or Alive and Perry Mason. I suspect that was before your time and you probably don't know who Miss Kitty was.

Unknown said...

Never done Soap Opera's over here, but I feel the same way about Oprah!

A Brit in Tennessee said...

When I first lived in Colorado and a newbie to this country, I became hooked on watching All My Children.
I 'spect it was all so new and exciting to watch the everyday lives of what I thought were everyday Americans..
Over the years, I have found that not to be true, and stopped watching 'soaps' some twenty odd years ago, but there are other programs on tv that I follow the characters and story lines of just the same.
Sorry to hear they'll be taking your favorite soap away ;(

Kathy W said...

Haven't watched a soap in years. I would bet in the next few years most if not all of the soaps will be gone. I sure can remember my Mom watching ATWT.

Kay said...

I've never watched soaps either because I didn't want to get sucked into it and have to watch every episode. I'm easy to suck in.

Cindy said...

I'm taping ATWT from now until the last day. It is like saying good-bye to friends.