Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Blog Design Confusion

A debate has been going on in my head since returning from BlogHer. I've been reading the numerous blogs that I have cards for and from the people/speakers that were there and they have given me much food for thought. Should I change my template, colors, basic premise, pictures, or even blog site. I am a novice when it comes to the template thing and photoshop so I am a little limited. I find that if I have too many options it can overwhelm me. Some even own their own website and that is totally out of my realm of knowledge, but maybe someday. I have found, for my tastes, that I like a homey feeling to a blog when I come upon it to read. I like pictures, fairly short blog posts and an ease to guide thorough a blog, and little if no advertising. I find it frustrating and distracting to see advertising all over the place, too commercial. I don't like posts that drone on and on and on, especially political stuff, I get enough of that from the paper and television. I don't like blah colorless blogs, I want something to catch my eye the first look at it, to draw me in. I've come to the conclusion that I like my blog, I love it. I like the basic look. I like my pictures and I like (not always) what I write and share on my blog. I may change it up a bit, but it is home and I like to come here, sit down and stay awhile. It is comfortable and I hope that fellow readers feel that way too.

11 comments:

Daryl said...

Its your blog, it should please you....

lagirl/sweet tea said...

The things you listed are exactly what I look for in a Blog. I like the "real" feel, rather than the commercial feel...I think you should stay the way you are, "real".

Unknown said...

Jill you & I are in the exact same school of thought on this. I look for the same things in a blog and ensure mine follows those rules. Like easy to read not too lengthy posts, lots of good piccies, the odd regular feature and No advertising.

I considered the blogher ads once and asked a good blog friend who had put them on whether it was worthwhile. She had a busy blog and made just $34 in 3 months from them, not worth it and kind of selling out I think.

As for the look, I have another good blog friend who constantly fiddles or changes her blog header and look. It drives me nuts and I don't think it does her any favours, as I think people associate your blog with your look over time. I have recently thought about making a more personalised appropriate header for mine, or paying someone to do a design. But everyone knows my look and so I have decided against any major changes, although I might do a new header piccie.

As for yours, I love your colours and I know instantly it's your blog I'm on, I enjoy your sidebar and I love that new Imagine piccie. I say don't mess with a good thing.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

I feel like Brit Gal Sarah, I enjoy your blog the way it is. It's homey, and welcolming. I'm not savy with photoshop and other software programs, so i tend to leave mine alone. I like short posts, with pictures.
Sometimes, more is not necessarily better, don't you think ?
Good post !

Kathy W said...

Well I can't disagree with anything you've said either. I like the way your blog is set up. Simple but the colors are nice to look at (not painful on the poor ole eyes). I am so glad others like the short posts also. Keep up the great work. =)

Char said...

I go back and forth with this too - I like my current design as it looks professional but I hate how it constraints the size of my shots. *sigh*

I like your color scheme and it's almost like it's branded to you as I think of you when I see this color. You're the only blog I know with the color.

Unknown said...

Carla btw...I own my url or website addy www.britgalusa.com, it only costs me $10 pa and was very easy to purchase via google. It means no-one else can take it and as I had a catchy name I wanted that to be the case.

Ruth said...

How good that you reviewed your choices and love them!

I agree about advertisements and blogs that are overly busy. Yours is very warm and inviting.

Carma Sez said...

You've got a great blog. Don't feel pressure to change it....

I can't believe you've been attacked by chiggers too. My sympathies!!!!

Unknown said...

I ♥ your blog too...it is a staple for me...BUT this isnt about me...I just like when I click through I know I am gonna get "jill of all trades' her colors and fonts and all....

with that said i ummmm gave you an award on my blog...no pressure...but i think your lovely!

Kay said...

I keep wanting to change the look of my site too but I can't figure out what I want to change it to. Your site is terrific.