Saturday, May 19, 2012

A Crying Dog

I have been up since 3 AM this morning.  I went to bed at a little after 10 and for some reason was jolted awake at 3.  Sometimes that happens and I can't explain it.  I suspect that it was the sound of Clayton crying.  A has been home for a week and this morning will head back to California, her other home.  She went out late last night to see an old friend that had just got to town and I knew she would be in late.  When my startled awakening happened, the living room lights were still on and I was concerned that A was still out and I know she has a very early flight.  Well, those thoughts only pushed the awake button in me and I just had to get up to investigate.  The first thing I noticed was the bedroom door closed.  Whew, that meant she was home and in bed.  That was a relief, so I went to the living room and turned off the lights and shuffled back to bed with the intention of falling asleep again.  No sooner did my head hit the pillow than I thought I heard Clayton.  Wait, I remember, he was asleep in his little bed, not with us.  Well, then I got concerned that he was having a dream or was in pain or something.  I again got up and looked in his bed, nothing.  He was not there.  Hmmm, well, I guessed he was in bed with us and I just couldn't find him in the dark.  Back to my pillow and there it was again, the whine.  I got up, closed the bedroom door, turned on the hall light and opened the guest bedroom door.  There was Clayton laying on A's bed crying.  He wanted us, our bed, his usual resting spot at night.  She must have taken him to bed with her when she came in.  I know what he was crying about though.  That little guy loves to sleep under the covers and when he can't get under the covers he cries, he's cold.  That is exactly what he did when I put him on our bed.  He burrowed under his little blanket and drifted right off to sleep.  Do you think he's spoiled!  Now I'm left with being AWAKE at 4:23 AM writing a blog post.  Something is very wrong with this picture here!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

laughing! This just made me smile . . . though sorry you didn't have much sleep!

Sweet Tea said...

I'm a sucker for a good "dog story". This was a good one.
Our poochies get used to their routine, don't they?!

Barbara said...

Reading that made me miss Rosie (Cairn terrier), Albe and Patch (two King Charles spaniels) all over again. We had Albe and Patch from eight week-old puppies – Patch lived nine years and Albe thirteen– just before Albe died Rosie came to live with us. She was an old lady at that time and only lived a couple of years. We’ve been without a dog now for two years, and I can’t tell you how much we miss them.