Friday, February 03, 2012

The Descendants

I recently finished the book The Descendants by Kaui Hart Hemmings.  I thought it was a good book, sad and definitely a bit depressing but a good book.  I really wanted to get it read so that I could see the movie, which I did yesterday.  They stuck pretty close to the book, omitting stuff that would have been nonsense.  I thought George did an excellent job in the movie, for a guy who has never been married or had children, he did a good job.  What disturbed me most, on a personal level, was the wife, Liz that was in the hospital bed dying during the entire movie, deteriorating each and every time they showed her on the screen.  It brought back flashbacks of my momma in her nursing home bed, whithering away day by day.  Good job make-up guys.  What surprised me most of the afternoon was the way the movie stayed with me and I'm not sure why.  I don't think it is Oscar worthy as a best picture, although I think Clooney did an Oscar worthy performance, but it stayed with me. 

4 comments:

PTBYF said...

I heard it is sad but good. You may have had a hard time shaking it because it did hit a litle too close to home for you.

Sweet Tea said...

I was wanting to see it, but not if it's extremely sad. I may need to rethink this. I don't like raw, sad, movies.

Kay said...

The native Hawaiian folks are not pleased with the book or movie because it shows how Caucasians came in and took their land. That is the sad part of the history. I did really like the movie and thought Clooney did a good job too. Actually the actor I really liked too is the young boy friend who seems like such an idiot at first and then a pretty great guy at the end.

LeeOhana said...

I have yet to see the movie. I really want to see it not only because it was filmed here, but also because I just heard the story is a great one!