Friday, March 18, 2011

Surgery

Surgery is done.  He was to be there at 1 for a 2:30 surgery.  They take him in at 3:30 and we are told that it will be probably 3-4 hours.  Sis and go and eat (Bro is home very sick).  We come back at 5:15.  Sis leaves at 6, I stay and not 5 minutes later the doctor comes in to brief me.  It is not good.  They got the hip out that was cemented in and he said it was a mess.  The bone is soft from the infection and cracked a bit but when the infection is cleared they will be able to put the hip back in.  Then the doc had the nerve to say to me, "I wish he had come to me first."  I said, "I thought he did come to you first."  He said no.  I beg to differ.  Oh well, what is done is done and now we move on.  He said that he will have to probably go to skilled nursing care for three months because he can put NO weight on the hip/leg and will be wheelchair bound.  Daddy lives alone.  This is going to be a nightmare.  Finally, at 7:30 I go to the nurse station and ask if Daddy is out of recovery.  They say no but he has a room and I can go there.  They said recover can be 2-2/12 hours...the doctor said an hour and a half.  So I sit in his room till about 8:20 when they finally wheel him in.  Poor Daddy.  He is in pain, confused and doesn't know what they did exactly.  I told him we would discuss it tomorrow.  My stomach hurts.

5 comments:

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Sorry, it sounds like a nightmare. The arrogance of doctors and the miscommunication with everybody else is maddening.

Afton said...

Yogi: I couldn't have said it better myself. It's very upsetting.

Char said...

i'm so sorry - i hope his recovery goes well

Kay said...

Oh no, I'm so sorry! There are some doctors that you WISH would get their act together. Please take care of yourself, too. I'll be wishing for a faster recovery for your dad.

Kathryn Magendie said...

Sending you and your family a big ole big HUG...