Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day and our yeah my life!

Today the world is a buzz with the anticipation of a new era as our country takes a huge step in our history. The vibrating is almost palpable when you step out the front door. Amazing.

This morning after going to the personal trainer I will rush home, take a shower, hurriedly slap on some makeup, blow the water out of my hair and hit the road. I'm taking Daddy, or rather he is following me in his car to our cabin to stay a few days while his bathroom is getting a new floor. We actually replaced the floor last year when the sweat from the toilet completely made the floor soggy. When you sat to do your business it listed to the side and you had the feeling of falling in the crawl space. Now he has a leak around the bath tub that has buckled the floor to the point you can't close the closet door. The Hubby seems to think there is no leak, that when he showers he lets the water run around the shower curtain and that is why the floor is bubbled up three inches in the air. I think he has a leak in the plumbing as there is mold in the closet on the wall where the pipes are. Today, when Rick our remodeler gets in to the problem, we'll find out who is right. My Daddy is not a total idiot, he knows how to take a shower without letting water get all over the floor, for God's sake we can all still hear my mother's yelling at us when we let it happen. I also went with Rick to pick out a new ceramic tile for the floor. Yes, we are doing it right and while were at it I would like to do part of the wall but we'll see. If I win this little argument he gets a new wall, if The Hubby wins, well same o, same o!

Last night I had my writers group. I didn't think I would go since I would be there empty handed but I made myself go. If I start missing then I will make it a habit of not going and probably wouldn't go again. I listened and critiqued several readings. I was proud of myself for actually speaking up and having some worthwhile comments of the writing of the others. I'm nice but if I have a question or the flow is just a little wonky I will speak up, nicely. Even if I don't have a reading to share at least I can learn from the readings and critique of others.

Back to my Daddy and the drive. I offered to take my father to the cabin but he is insisting on following me there so he can remember the turns and all. My Daddy is 73 years old and he's pretty good mentally, really but I'm just so scared for him to be on the road. After Momma died he took off and drove to Arizona all by himself and that was only two and a half years ago so I should feel okay with this but... I want to him to have a nice time fishing and enjoying the scenery and maybe bonding with a few of the inhabitants of the gated community so I've emailed a few of them to keep an eye on him. His hip and knees sometimes give out and I live in absolute fear that he will fall down some of the stairs that are there. It's almost like having a teenager with a new drivers license getting on the road for the first time. (Oh and while on that little thought, my 16 year old niece had her first wreck last week. The car is hurt but she is okay. Funny my Sis didn't say anything about it. - Whole other issue!)

When I rush back to town after an hour drive there and hour back and probably a half hour of showing him the ropes I will hurry to my painting class that I DON'T want to miss. I worked a couple of hours yesterday drawing the picture I'm going to paint and I want to get started. I'll have pictures maybe tomorrow of the work so far.

Better run and get this day started...ready, set, GO..............................

4 comments:

Unknown said...

awwww how sweet-love that pic of your daddy!
You both be safe driving today...

Debbie said...

You know, 73 isn't all that old!

donna baker said...

You must be 40ish. 73 isn't really all that old. He'll be fine and I bet he will really enjoy the change of scenery. It'll be a little adventure for him.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.