Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I really should be writing...

VEGGIE SOUP



Ingredients: These can be added to or left out depending on your taste.



Cabbage, leeks, tomato soup, celery, onion, green-red-or yellow peppers, garlic, yellow and/or zucchini squash, carrots, green beans, canned tomatoes, chicken or veggie stock, jalapeno salt, salt and pepper, veggie bouillon, olive oil, bacon drippings only if you want for a little flavor, and bay leaves.















I saute the cabbabe, leeks, onions, peppers and any of the other veggies I want. I use olive oil but sometimes add 2 tsp to 1 tbls of bacon drippings for a little flavor. You really don't have to saute the veggies but I like the flavor and the smell in the house is awesome.























Let is simmer for an hour or two and I serve with grilled cheese sandwiches. Great on this icy cold day. Enjoy. I'm actually taking part of this to a friend who had hip replacement surgery last week.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

that looks and sounds so yummy!

A Brit in Tennessee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
A Brit in Tennessee said...

Just when I thought I had my snowy day menu planned for tomorrow, I see this !
Now I'm off to the store, to buy a cabbage....
Looks delicious, and I can only imagine how it smells throughout the house..hhmmmm.

Anonymous said...

What a nice recipe for such cruddy weather. Thanks for sharing, I will let you know how mine turns out!

Try to stay warm and cozy!!!

DeeBee said...

I love your cooking pictures! I'm new to your blog and I saw in your profile that a favorite movie of yours is "Under the Tuscan Sun"... I LOVE this movie. It's a great rainy day flick that I can watch over and over.

Debbie said...

Looks super. What time should I come over?

Kay said...

Oh thank you, thank you. I love healthy recipes and this sounds delicious! Yumm!

Heather said...

looks good!~

Ruth said...

It's a serious veggie soup! Enough veggies to fill my quota for a week. And so nice you're taking some to your friend. There's no better gift when you're recovering: good soup.

Trixie said...

This looks so lovely and I have most of what it takes already on hand. Maybe I'll make this on my Sunday afternoon hibernation time! Don't you just love flexible recipes that always manage to come out so tasty and good for you?

Unknown said...

Love that hearty soup and the fact you make enough to share! :)

Kay said...

I LOVE this! I'm going to make some soup as soon as I'm feeling better!