Monday, April 26, 2010

McLinky Monday: Newlyweds

I almost forgot that this is the McLinky Monday at RHOK.  The subject this Monday is Newlyweds.  This one is sharing a funny newlywed story.  I have to go a bit back as I have been married for 34 years.  My memory gets a bit fuzzy going back that far.  We we very, very young, 19, both of us.  When it became clear that The Hubby was going to make this a serious pairing my father started holloring at me to get in the kitchen and learn how to cook for real from my mother.  I knew how to cook but not a lot of stuff, mainly chocolate chip cookies.  We married and moved into a sweet apartment close to the Swan Lake area here in Tulsa.  One day we went to work and I had decided to cook fried chicken, like my Momma made.  I set the frozen chicken out on the counter at 7:30 or so that morning and left for work.  I didn't arrive home until about 5:15 and started to prepare the chicken.  I thought there was a kind of funny smell but I was just so young and inexperienced I didn't know.  I prepared the chicken, salt and pepper, lots of black pepper and flour.  I got the oil hot in my electric skillet and started to cook the chicken.  There is nothing like the smell of bad chicken frying let me tell you.  I was so upset that I ruined out dinner and since we were so tight on funds it was financially not good.  I cried as I tossed that horrible smelling chicken out with flour all over my face and hands with tears streaming down my dust covered face.  The Hubby came home and I was a mess.  He felt so sorry for me, hugged and assured me it was alright.  I felt as if I had failed as a wife which was silly but it was devasting for me.  I don't even remember what we had for dinner that night but we ate something I'm sure.  A few days later I came home from work and when I put the key in the door I smelled the most wonderful smell, fried chicken.  He had come home early and was cooking dinner "to show me" how it is done.  I let him, to this day believe that he showed me how to fry chicken but really what I learned was how to thaw out meat in the refrigerator, I KNOW how to fry chicken.  It was sweet.

12 comments:

Char said...

that is so very sweet.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Nice story. Congrats on being married so long.

Real Housewives of Oklahoma said...

That is really cute! I can totally identify with taking a kitchen flop and deciding I was a total failure. That's actually how I felt when my husband asked for McDonald's. :)
Thanks for linking up with us today!
~Mrs. Priss

Robin said...

That is a sweet thing to do. Congrats on being married 34 years.

Kellyology said...

Your husband is such a nice man, he was even nice at 19. What a great couple you guys make!

Beth Zimmerman said...

That's precious! Popping in from RHOK. Very nice to meet you! I'm in Tulsa too! It's fun to meet other Oklahoma bloggers.

New follower!
Beth
http://bethaworkinprogress.blogspot.com/

Redneck Diva said...

My husband "showed" me how to make white gravy back when we were newlyweds. Apparently the stuff I had made tasted and looked like school glue. I was SO offended - until I tasted his and decided he could have the job indefinitely!

Dawn said...

LOL! What a funny story!

P.S. I've never made fried chicken and I'm 41. Shhh!

Anonymous said...

I love fried chicken. Not all fried chicken is the same and some is worlds better than others. I bet you have the best recipe.

Jennifer said...

What a great memory! Thanks for sharing (popped over from RHOK)

My husband acts as if I am trying to murder him if I cook chicken.

He eats it anyways.

Alli said...

Congratulations! What a cute story. I bet I would feel the same way but it's always nice to have someone to pick you up when you're down and support you!

Kay said...

This is such a sweet memory. Thank you for sharing it with us. I couldn't cook when I was first married. My husband, on the other hand grew up in his parents' restaurant. I'm a little better now but he's still the better cook. I'm OK with that.