Monday, April 26, 2010

Food, Friends and Flowers

This was a fun weekend full of food, friends and flowers.  The big thing was to say goodbye to a friend.  I have previously stated that since I got my new Jeep The Hubby (the cool dude in the pic) wanted to get rid of my Miata.  I was not happy but not necessarily because I wanted the car, although it would have been nice on those top-down days.  He said we had to sell it because it just was not practical.  Well, my defense was that he has a play car, his 1949 Dodge and his 1979 El Camino, why not keep mine!  I lost the battle as he soldiered on to sell.  He just didn't get it, do you?  Anyway, we sold it to a very nice couple about our age and Friday I drove it to the cabin to meet the people on Saturday to seal the deal.  Bye my dear friend, I so loved you!


We went to the cabin this week with tons of food, a car to sell and ready to rest but the rest part was a little wonky.  I had decided that it was time to host a Saturday night with some of our friends, the only obstacle was the screened in porch was thick with pollen and had to be cleaned.  The Hubby and neighbor Jimbo worked hard sweeping and scrubbing all the gunk away for the festivities. 
I stayed busy inside away from the pollen (my allergies are in overdrive this week) preparing food.  Actually I spent most of the time reading and watching TV with Clayton in my lap.  My meal was an easy prepare kind of thing and when you have help with people bringing stuff it works out great.  My theme for the evening was Build Your Own Taco Salad!  We love to have this at home and I wanted to share. 


I got colorful napkins and plastic plates and beautiful gerber daisies for the tables.  I just had to take a picture of the sweet flowers against the backdrop of the black refrigerator.  May have to paint them. 
Now for the very easy taco salads:
Ground Beef
Refried Beans
Taco Seasoning packets
Salsa/picante sauce

Brown the beef.  Add the refried beans, taco seasoning and mix.  A little salsa/picante sauce and water to thin it out.  It's kind of an eyeball thing.  You don't want it to thick or too thin, you want it thin enough to drizzle over the Fritos base.  Building the taco is first a small handfull of Fritos.  You don't want to totally fill the plate or you will have a huge, HUGE finished taco salad when you add all the other stuff. 

Layer:
Fritos
Bean/meat mixture
lettuce
tomato
cheese
black olives
sour cream
avocado/guacomole
salsa

The evening was a huge success and everyone love the salads.  For dessert I purchased a Tres leches cake from the local Reasor's which is to die for.  Absolutely delicious. 

The next morning we got up and The Hubby fixed breakfast for our company, our friends B&K who were recently married in December.  They came the day before for the party and a little fishing.  Too bad the fish were not biting and it was a bit cool.  Clayton enjoyed the whole weekend with tons of people to see and lots of laps to sit in.  Now it is back to the old grindstone.  This morning I was up and headed to workout with 5 miles on the stationary bike and a mile on the treadmill!  A little painting in a bit and pick up the house, the grocery store and the office for a bit.  I really have tons to do today...toodles all!

No comments: