Sunday, June 14, 2009

We're afloat

We are afloat on the Queen Mary 2 as I type this. This has been an awesome vacation. I wish I could do pictures but those will have to come later. We left Kilarney to travel to Dublin, which was not my favorite place. Face it, I'm a country girl at heart and so the busy city life is just not for me. Our hotel is owned by German people and reflects that feel. It is rather plain and stark for my tastes. Actually kind of modern feel with the decor. The bar area was massive and had looked like a furniture store with all the chairs and tables around in small seating areas and very modern in the feel. We took a day bus tour of Dublin which was interesting. We also did an evening out for dinner with some of the older people in our group. We went to a dinner and music place with Irish dancing and singing. The tenor was awesome.

Yesterday was a long day to get to England. We flew very early to London/Heaththrow and stood in horrible lines outside just to get our tour bus to take us the long drive to South Hampton to our cruise. We boarded the Queen Mary 2 late afternoon yesterday and I must say WOW! It is an amazing ship, just beautiful and HUGE! Today we've signed up for massages at the Canyon Ranch Spa. Tonight is dinner, formal, tux and all. I told The Hubby this kind of reminds me of a floating Branson with all the elderly people and the shows and ball gown functions. I feel years young on this whole trip. I don't think I've ever seen so many canes, walkers and wheelchairs. Why do you have to be ancient to enjoy this kind of thing. People, save your money and do these things at an early age, not when you can't get around.

One of our people, Marilyn, is very sad because her luggage didn't make it on the flight from Ireland to London, so she is without anything except her carry-on until New York. She is wearing a t-shirt and blue jeans. I feel so very bad for her and have offered her one of my dresses for the formal nights. Now, don't be too concerned, I don't have a hugely formal dress. It is a stretch knit dress with a shawl. I was not about to buy a "ball" gown but I bet we will be seeing a lot of sparkle tonight. The Hubby has to rent a tuxedo today for the event. Again, I am not keen on this crap but will probably try to play along.

UPDATE: My Daddy went home yesterday.

5 comments:

Kathryn Magendie said...

Oh, what a wonderful trip - other than the lost luggage for poor Marilyn!

Char said...

oh no about the lost luggage!!! another good reminder about carry-on. you are so sweet to loan her a dress.

I'm not one for dressing up all the time, but from time to time, it's fun.

Kay said...

This sounds like so much fun. I can't wait for the photos. I remember them losing our kids' luggage when we went to London ages ago. They had to wear our clothes for much of the trip which they were NOT thrilled about.

The Queen Mary sounds awesome!

Briana Shepley said...

Oh lordy I want to see Daddy in a tuxedo! Take pictures!!!!!!!

lagirl/Sweet Tea said...

"I don't think I've ever seen so many canes, walkers and wheelchairs."

LOL
Sounds as though you're the kid in the group. I can't wait to see your photos. It makes me want to take a trip there.