Monday, May 04, 2009

What happened to our sun!


It has been days now since the glorious sun has touched my skin and I'm beginning to get down. I'm trying not to but this constant gray is depressing. I need sun! I want sun! I just have to have it. It's like a drug for me. I'm trying to keep myself very, very busy with work, crocheting and now I'm cleaning out pictures. Thirty-three years of married life and kids pictures, plus I am also the keeper of family memorabilia and pictures. So the boxes are many. Saturday and Sunday I spent most of the days sitting in the floor until my backside went to sleep sorting and sorting. When I got to my grandmothers stuff I started tossing into the garbage bag. It sounds awful but how many pictures do I need of her stray cat that she tamed sitting at her door. She had an album with probably 10 pictures of that cat. I know my girls remember the cat, Tom I think was his name, so in each of their "keep" baskets I chucked a picture of it plus many other "memory" pictures for them. I mean do we really need all that. You know if I ever, EVER get around to making scrapbooks for the girls I will probably toss what is not needed or used. I have kept all the negatives and disc's in a separate place just in case. I don't need progression pictures of my grandmothers 4th cousins daughter, from kindergarten to high school I haven't even met the kid or grownup as she more than likely is now and I probably never will. That part of the family is way, way too distant for me.


I have to make a decision. I decided that at this stage in my life I need to prioritize what is important to me and what I want to do with the "rest" of my life. For years I have always crafted and cooked and so I accumulated tons of yarn, cross stitch stuff, cookbooks and recipes that I will NEVER use. I also have an over abundance of books. Although I plan on reading them I keep adding more to the towering piles. I need to get rid of some. I have a problem with that though as I love, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the written page. I love owning books, but I have decided that after I read I will get rid of them in some fashion or another, except for my favorite authors or subject matter. I will keep those books, in hardback in my library alcove. I love to cross stitch but that is seasonal, as is the need to crochet. I will keep those two things but the cross stitch I will stick to the little ornaments that I like to do. They are small and don't take up too much room and are a portable project. The crochet will still be baby blankets but I'm getting bored with that for awhile and so will pack away till fall. No more glue guns and glitter or felt or craft crap. It is gone! Recipes, well, I've tossed a ton of that stuff too. I need to get rid of tons of cookbooks too. I have so many but I never, never use them. I stick to the church ladies cookbook or my Better Homes and Garden one that I've had for over 30 years. Hmmm, maybe I'll have a giveaway. Giveaway some books or cookbooks. Have to think about that.


So now to the problem of the pictures and school papers. I am going to continue sorting, and that may take me a few weeks but when done I'm going to put the family memorabilia away, safely. I will have the girls stuff sorted and maybe I'll make scrapbooks for them but if I don't, well then they may someday. I can't get my head around that right now. I'm going to be selfish. I want to set up my room as an artists space, where I can paint without having to take it down. I have to get this all put away though or my mind will be too overwhelmed of, well, stuff. I won't be able to get my mind organized unless I cull it all down to a manageable level. So back to sorting I guess.

6 comments:

Kathy W said...

I agree Jill it has been wayyyyyyyyy to long since we have seen some sun around here. LOL its raining again as I type this.

lagirl said...

I must kinda be in the same mood you are as I've spent the day cleaning drawers. Such fun. NOT!
I just love this sort of thing when I'm finished.

At last we had some sunshine this afternoon. Perhaps it will decide to shine on Okla soon.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I have to tell you that I love getting rid of stuff.

I also miss the sun.

Susan said...

I keep all pictures. No matter what. I inadvertently tossed a school picture of my great grandmother last year and am still kicking myself. Why is it that we have to sit in the floor to organize pictures? I do the same thing and it kills my back. I hope all this works for you. Try to hang in there until the sun returns. Enjoy your week, Susan

Char said...

:) I love being organized but it's so difficult knowing what to keep and what to get rid of....sounds like you are doin a great job. hope the sun returns soon.

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

I love getting rid of crap that I have saved for forever. I loved Hissy Fit...you need to read Blue Christmas...and the one about the motel on Tybee Island in Georgia...Savannah Breeze I think. I have one on the way from paperbackswap.com....I can't wait til it gets here. I have a giveaway up and running through Weds. night at 9 cst. Stop by and enter...it is in honor of my 200th blog.