Wednesday, September 25, 2013

He's Fallen and He Can't Get Up

Yes that was the phone call I received yesterday.  The day started quite innocently and on a very happy note as the scale hit 22 pounds lost for me so far.  I went about my day taking a thank you note to my doctor who has decided to no longer be in the practice of taking care of people like me.  He has chosen to focus on nursing home care...well, I'll probably see him again then!  Then I ordered birthday cakes for Rio, Bri, my mother-in-law and sister-in-law for this weekend.  Then it was home to fix a quick bite for The Hubby and I before my art class.  The night before my Daddy had called to say he had a fever the night before but he was feeling better.  I sent an email yesterday morning telling him to respond but had not received a response by lunch.  That's no unlike him as he doesn't respond sometimes.  But on the way to art class I called him and there was no answer.  Hmmmm, well, that is odd so I sent a text to Bro and Sis to go by and check on him.  They live in the same city so it's easier for them to run by.  I set up my art stuff and began to paint when my cell phone rang with an unknown number.  It was Daddy's neighbor from across the street.  He had fallen and could not get up.  I didn't know the specifics but the ambulance was on the way to take him to the hospital.  EGADDDDDD!

My sweet friends in art class Linda and Sheila quickly packed up my art stuff while I was getting the info from the neighbor and I was on my way to the hospital.  I called Bro and Sis and The Hubby to tell them what had happened.  He was supposed to be taken to SouthCrest-Hillcrest, his fav hospital.  I also called Bri but hated to ruin her birthday.  She was already having a rough day as Rio was in no nap mode and very upset.  

Arriving at the hospital I was met by The Hubby, the first one there.  We went inside and Daddy wasn't there yet.  Sis arrived and Bro had to finish a project he was in the middle of but would be on his way soon.  No problem as we sat for 30 minutes for the ambulance to arrive.  The girl said that they would probably be diverted because their hospital was full. Great do they know where we asked but she had no clue and there was no way to find out if the patient in the ambulance that coming to their door was even Daddy.  I mean really, I was close to downtown Tulsa and made it to 91st and Mingo in a matter of 15 minutes without speeding.  Daddy was just in Broken Arrow how could it take 30-45 minutes.  They had already left his house when I got their.  After waiting for 30 minutes the girl said he had been diverted to St. Francis South, right across the highway from them.  So back in our cars we go to the other hospital.  

Yes, we found him and he was in his little room and very coherent but not well.  He still had a fever and a horrible headache from the high fever.  Sis and I sat with him and waited.  He only had one hearing aid in so we had to be kind of loud to chat.  During the very long wait we find out that he has fallen once a day for 4 days, that he had not eaten for 4 days.  WHAT!  That is not what he had told me.  He apparently he fell going to the bathroom but because he was so weak he couldn't make it.  He was able to crawl to the front door and use his cane to prop open the door and holler to anyone passing to get help from 6:30 in the morning till about 1 when the neighbor finally heard him.  That also meant a mess, if you get my meaning.  The Hubby took his clothes home and washed them (bless him).  We threw away his wallet and The Hubby just happened to have a brand new one to give him.  All this happening and still we waited.

Sis had to make a hair appointment so she left.!?!  Bro and I still waited.  We had not seen a doctor yet but they took x-ray's of his chest to see if he had pneumonia which he didn't.  Then the nurse came in to give him some anti-nausea meds and other stuff.  Asking him and us questions.  They kept asking stuff about whether anyone was hitting or beating him or making him do stuff he didn't want to do.  I tell you I was beginning to feel like they thought we had hurt our father.  I felt, well, kind of defensive for a bit.  Anyway, he started to tell the nurse about a place on his leg groin area that was red and irritated.  WOOO, well, I got a show.  He's has psoriasis and eczema areas in his groin that are NASTY and he's battled them for years but YUCK!  Then she looked at his scar where the hip fiasco was and she was concerned that it was a bit heated and it looks horrible anyway.  Really, it didn't look any different than it has all along.  I think Bro was concerned about it but like I said it didn't look any different.  She asked if he had any sores on his bottom and he said, "Oh yes."  WHAT...that is the first I have heard of that.  It is sort of a bed sore and it is BAD!  Oh my goodness, now I do feel bad.  

The P.A. came in and we asked her when the doctor was going to show up, that we have not been told anything and it was 5 pm.  She introduced herself to us as the P.A. and that Daddy didn't have pneumonia which was good to hear.  She also didn't think the hip area had infection which was also VERY good to know but they are stumped as to why he has a bad infection.  They decided to x-ray his hips to make sure there is no infection or any kind of break.  He wasn't complaining of any kind of pain in his hips is why they didn't before.  

Bro told me to go ahead and go as we were to celebrate Bri's birthday with dinner at her favorite restaurant at India Palace.  I took him up on it and ran.  During dinner he texted that he needed the list of meds that were in Daddy's wallet.  Damn, they were at home.  He was going to have to go to Daddy's and assess the pill bottles and of course get Daddy some clothes.  By the time we were through with dinner and I made it home I was able to text Bro the info and they finally got Daddy into a room.  Still they don't know where the infection is and they are more concerned with Daddy falling.  I wanted to yell, "HE FELL BECAUSE HE HAS HAD A FEVER FOR 4 DAYS AND NOT EATEN FOR 4 DAYS!"  What is wrong with you doctors, it's not anything but that!  

Today, I can't get to the hospital to check on Daddy until this afternoon as I'm in charge of watching Rio while Bri teaches.  But immediately after I will fly there and hopefully they will have all day to find out something.  

This morning I have it set up that Daddy's carpet will be cleaned, YUCK!  and then the house cleaned, ready for him to be home.  Bro has to let them in as I can't be there but they are all paid for!  

Sorry for the ramble but I have to get it out!  I feel like we're in that merry-go-round of hospital crap again.  

1 comment:

Kay said...

Oh gracious! What a scare. I'm glad he's recuperating. And congratulations on the weight loss! Yae! I'm so happy for you, but sorry you've got the added stress now.