Thursday, November 02, 2023

Loss of a Friend

 I want to write about this but not sure if I should.  I had something happen yesterday and it has set my teeth on edge.  I was to meet my best friend for lunch, per her request, the place she said, and time.  I showed up and waited and waited and waited.  Sent a text 30 minutes into the wait, nothing.  After 45 minutes I ordered my lunch and ate it by myself.  It was hard to see all the tables fill up with friends meeting friends for lunch while I sat.  I wanted to break down and cry.  Inside my heart was absolutely splitting in two.  You see, this is not the first time she has stood me up and she has consistently been late.  I've given chance after chance, excuse after excuse about this behavior but after yesterday, I'm done.  Thirty-eight years and I am done.  I've honestly been grieving the loss of this friendship for a few years, bit by bit.  I know in a persons life family comes first but there is a parallel line where friends fit into that hierarchy too, best friends.  In her world I do not even fit into that and I know it.  My heart this morning is in mourning.  I've lost a friend, not by death, but by actions, her actions.  I'm a good friend, a very good friend that most of my friends respect.  In her world I do know she means well, but her actions just explain it all.

No comments: