Friday, May 27, 2022

Probiotics versus Prebiotics

For your information because I KNOW you've been dying to know!  

Every evening I take two chewable fiber tablets that contain prebiotics.  When my father was having his hip-infection issues the doctors/hospitals were always making sure he was taking his probiotics or prebiotics or something like that.  I always called it probiotics but then I was really paying attention to my fiber bottle and noticed PRE when I was always telling MY doctor PRO.  That got me to thinking which was it, am I taking the right stuff, should I be changing.  So I asked Google and here is what I found out.  

Prebiotics are compounds in food that induce the growth or activity of beneficial microorganisms such as bacteria and fungi. The most common example is in the gastrointestinal tract, where prebiotics can alter the composition of organisms in the gut microbiome.

Probiotics are live microorganisms promoted with claims that they provide health benefits when consumed, generally by improving or restoring the gut flora. Probiotics are considered generally safe to consume, but may cause bacteria-host interactions and unwanted side effects in rare cases. 

Probiotics are foods or supplements that contain live microorganisms intended to maintain or improve the "good" bacteria (normal microflora) in the body. Prebiotics are foods (typically high-fiber foods) that act as food for human microflora.  

Probiotics are beneficial bacteria found in certain foods or supplements. Prebiotics are types of fiber that feed the friendly bacteria in the digestive ...

I really don't know which one I should really be taking so I purchased a chewable that has both in it and will add to my regime.  It's really very confusing but I do know that when I had my hip thing they were really glad I was taking what I was calling probiotic when in reality I was taking a prebiotic.   ARGHHHH so confusing...

No comments: