Thursday, November 26, 2020

Happy Thanksgiving...
-Thanksgiving nap many years ago-

Bring on the tryptophan turkey nap.  Actually when I checked the spelling of that word the science says no, turkey does not induce sleep.  What does make us so sleepy after eating turkey dinner is probably the AMOUNT of food we eat.   

The table is set for our small gathering.  Usually I have about 30 at my house and a 20 pound turkey in the oven.  The only part of that statement that has changed is the amount of people gathering, but the 20 pounder is still in the oven.  Old habits are hard to quit and hopefully next year it will be full on EVERYONE here to celebrate family.  These are such terrifying times in this year of Covid but we know that time will pass quickly and we will be back on the path to familiar and tradition.  Being as it is a small gathering with my girls and their families we decided to have genuine sit down.  But if they don't feel comfortable at the table they are more than welcome to fill the plates and head outside on the patio where the heater will be on full and a fire in the firepit will be roaring.  It's just fun to set a proper table and I haven't done that in many years.  I have so many things to do that with and I don't get to do it.  I'm hoping after we are back to being with friends and family on a normal basis I want to start having dinner parties, actual dinner parties and USE the stuff from my Granny and Momma.  There is no sense in letting it just sit in a cabinet.  In fact, I'm going to make an announcement that even if a plate or glass is broken it is quite alright, better broken and loved than hiding in a cupboard!

I am so very sad that we won't be able to be with those in our family that are truly isolated by this damn virus, my sweet 93 year old mother-in-law and my brother-in-law.  They are both by themselves and that is just not right.  I am also sad that my sweet Daddy who would usually show up 2-3 hours EARLY will never be at our Thanksgiving table again.  Life marches on even though we sometimes would like to stop it.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING 
to one an all my friends. 
🦃

No comments: