Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Treasures

The house has been emptied. Emptied of everything.  Not a dust bunny, well, maybe one or two of those are left.  My nephew and a couple of his friends went to town and filled this dumpster.  Honestly The Hubby nor I thought we needed this large dumpster but it was only like $10 more for the month so we did it.  Thank goodness we did.  Can't believe it is so full. 

A few photos and negatives I need to have printed.

When you think you have gone through EVERYTHING you still find more.  The nephew went into the attic, a place we NEVER, EVER went into, except for maybe Brother.  I just never thought of anything being in there, and frankly, there wasn't much except mice bedding!  But...but...but...

As I was going through mostly canceled checks a few newspapers that were pretty chewed up look at this little gem.  
The Hubby found this absolutely fascinating as did I.  The address on the clipping was 1444 N. Denver and of course The Hubby had to go and find the address on Google Earth.  There is a fairly new house on the spot now.  I mean really why did my parents keep this clipping.  Why did they even clip it out of the paper.  Googling you do find a Wikipedia article on Nathaniel Reed (outlaw), that he died in 1950 so that must be the date of the clipping, before my parents were  even out of high school. 





Also out of the pile of trash I did find a few negatives and a couple of photos and this little jewel.  It is a baby care book given to my grandma when daddy was born.  He was born at the Flower Hospital that was located on North Boulder in 1935.  

I just love this book and it was in almost pristine condition, considering it is at least 85 years old and in the attic where the mice lived.  The copyright inside said eighth printing, copyright 1936, 1st published 1931.
Don't you just LOVE this artwork!





Not sure if you can read this but one of the things listed to give the baby is cod liver oil and orange juice.  EGAD!  I was born in 1956 and apparently my mother believed in the cod liver oil thing, or at least she listened to my grandmother give that advice.  One day mother decided we three kids needed a huge dose of cod liver oil (she forgot the orange juice part!)  She lined us up, and spoonful after spoonful went into each of our mouths.  What ensued was each of us running to a sink, a toilet or a trash can to THROW UP said cod liver oil.  She never EVER did that again.  

The book was not written in at all but as I thumbed through the pages I found this sweet note written by my daddy to his daddy.  I love it.

 

No comments: