Sunday, March 08, 2015


We are done, we, meaning the 6 of us that traveled to Scottsdale to The Scottsdale Artist School for a week with David Leffel, Sherrie McGraw and Jacqueline Kamin.  Three of us arrived together from Tulsa to meet up with Linda who drove with her husband the week before to take Rose Frantzen.  Rose was supposed to be during our week but that somehow was "changed".  Hopefully we get her to Tulsa sometime, soon!

When we arrived it was a quick bite to eat then off to the school for our first demo/lesson.  Sherrie and Jacqueline painted while David talked about painting and what they were doing.


(Sherrie and David are married and cute together!)

Back to the hotel for rest and believe we were going to need our rest.  It was up at the usual time as home and we were off to the school to begin our learning.

I chose to do still life first and set this one up. 

The bag was a gift from Afton for Christmas and held my brushes!

After a full day of intense painting we ran back to the hotel to try and freshen up and then were off to the Legacy Gallery for another demo!  Our school hours were from 8:30-4:30 then it was to the gallery at 5:30 to 7:30 for demo's Mon-Wed.  David was first up with a portrait. 

Absolutely beautiful and beautiful to watch him create this.  Amazing really.  He is considered to be a modern day MASTER!

Of course by the end of most evenings we finally were able to eat, drink and be very weary and then get ready for the next day.

I decided on Tuesday to switch and do a portrait, which I have done very, very few.  The model walked in and I was elated.  He was beautiful and so much fun.  His name is Robert and Robert is a poet.  When I finish this that will be the name of the painting, "The Poet".  

I HAVE GOT to fix the eyes on the close up.

One morning we had a demonstration before class on how the Rosemary Brushes are made.  The daughter of Rosemary, Semi. stayed the whole week to sell brushes, which I added to my growing collection!  Fascinating to watch and they are all made by hand.  I have ordered many of them and they ship from England within the week usually.

The next day it was back to the portrait stuff.  I cannot remember her name. 

(This was packed in my suitcase the way one of the ladies brings her paintings home but unfortunately during transit it was damaged a bit.  Have to fix it this morning.)

By Wednesday night I was DRAGGING and skipped the Wednesday night demo which was Sherrie painting the school director in costume, Dan.  

After the demo I was picked up at the hotel for dinner.  For some reason three of us had problems with swelling in our feet and legs.  I don't know if it was sitting on a tall stool all day or altitude or what but it was such an issue.  I even stood a bunch to try and alleviate the swelling, but it was best when I put my legs up a bit during the day and definitely at night.  

Thursday I was back to still life. I had to do another still mainly because when I was setting up the still life the first morning I mentioned to Sherrie that there were not enough veggies to paint.  Well, Tuesday morning she had made a special trip to buy baby beets and artichokes just for me to paint.  That was extremely nice of her.  She mentioned again on Wednesday that the veggies needed to be used so I felt obligated to paint them.   
In setting up the picture I found eggs on the table of stuff to choose from and found three eggs.  One of the eggs had hairline cracks in the top and when I set it on the stand my thumb went through it.  I thought it was perfect since the beets were wilty.  

I have a few touch ups that need to be done since I have looked at it a bit longer but I like it.

This is the little garden area that I rested a few times.  It was a bit chilly the first three days we were in Scottsdale but there was SUNSHINE!  

Thursday evening was the Art Walk to look at galleries.  Unfortunately my feet and legs were feeling the effects and so I sat a lot to enjoy the evening air, sights and sounds of Scottsdale! 

I did get to see a Daniel J Keys original at the Legacy Gallery and was THRILLED!  I love his stuff and have watched a few of his videos.  Just beautiful.

An Edgar Payne painting to view with my friends, Charlotte, Linda and Lana.  They were given a private showing of some of the works upstairs that are getting ready for a auction.  The last auction this gallery had brought in $16 million.  
I was outside but the crew had a private showing of the Edgar Payne and this Fechin estimated to bring $250K - $350K at auction!  WOW!

Friday I was tired and out of ideas and I did not want to paint another vase and flowers, so at breakfast I decided to paint breakfast.  I grabbed the cinnamon roll, some fruit loops, milk and  banana and found an orange at the school supply table.   
I set it up and then David came over, loved the idea but tweeked it a bit by moving the cinnamon roll.
It was quite fun to paint! 
And when David came around again he said, "OUTSTANDING!"  I was absolutely thrilled! 

Yesterday, Saturday and the quick drive to the airport which is about all the scenery I was able to see of Scottsdale.

David Leffel and the girls!
Lana, Maria, David, Linda peeking through, Charlotte and me! 

One of many dinners.  This was at Banderas.  So yummy.  
Mary Ann, Charlotte, Lana, Maria, Me, Charlotte, Linda and her husband James.  James was our chauffeur all week long.  He shuffled art supplies, paintings and ladies back and forth and in the car.  What a great guy to put up with us. 


Kay said...

It's so much fun to see your creative process. I admire your artistic drive.

Honolulu Aunty said...

I found your blog via Kay's Musings. I SO want to learn how to paint and your posts were yummy!

I like your individualism a lot. I will visit again when I have more play time. Meanwhile, keep up the great work.

Regarding your hysterectomy, would not hurt to try taking protein enzymes - look up "Vitalzym".