Monday, April 02, 2012

The Secret

The topic of the month at NaBloPoMo is Poem and the question of the day today is "What was the first poem you ever memorized?"  This easy as I have written about it before.  Somewhere in my piles of junk I even have the copy I memorized off of.  I stressed and stressed over the thing but I did it.  I'm not even sure what class or age I was but it had to be somewhere between the ages of 7 and 9.  I loved the thing because it was about the Robin, one of my favorite birds.  This is a really sweet childhood poem.  Enjoy and happy Monday all!

The Secret by Anonymous
We have a secret, just we three,
The robin, and I, and the sweet cherry-tree;
The bird told the tree, and the tree told me,
And nobody knows it but just us three.

But of course the robin knows it best,
Because she built the--I shan't tell the rest;
And laid the four little--something in it--
I'm afraid I shall tell it every minute.

But if the tree and the robin don't peep,
I'll try my best the secret to keep;
Though I know when the little birds fly about
Then the whole secret will be out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this poem. I think it is a shame children aren't taught to memorize poetry as much anymore. I intend to work on that with my daughter... and I'll keep this one in mind. It would be so sweet with a little one saying it. -kate

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Oh what a sweet poem!!