Thursday, January 26, 2012

Perfectionism, Procrastination, Expectations...

Eeee Gad...I lost a follower.  I was so happy to have 75 now 74...oh well...

Been a bit sick this week with a throat infection or something.  Wake up every morning with frogs croaking in my throat and feeling pretty rotten for a few hours then better.  Think it is a viral thing as no fever just throat stuff. 

The theme on NaBloPoMo the past month has been about starting and finishing "stuff".  Actually, I have not liked any of the prompts to write about this month, but thought I would explore starting and finishing in general, when dealing with me.  Another word I think I would associate with this is procrastination or procrastinator, ME.  I have always had an issue with finishing something I start.  That is a battle extraordinaire with me.  When I was in high school I started a crocheted blanket but had to absolutely force myself to finish it.  I even have quilt strips that I started when 17 that are still in strips, but I've made another quilt, that was more, perfect.  Actually, on that front I have discovered that if I don't think I've been sort of perfect on a project, then it does not get finished, i.e. the quilt strips.  I thought I might border a bit on perfectionism which came to light when I started the painting class.  The painting has helped me deal with that little quirk and now I find that if I don't think my painting is perfect or near, then I can't finish it or I actually hate the painting.  Hmmm, really never thought of myself as a perfectionist and always accused The Hubby of it and me not able to live up to the expectation but in reality it is my own expectations that I have a hard time living up to.  Wow, insight at the age of 55.  You actually still learn a lot about yourself, forever. 

5 comments:

Oklahoma Granny said...

I've lost a follower every once in awhile only to find that the count is back up by 1 the very next time I log into my blog. Sometimes I wonder if I truly lost a follower or if there was some kind of glitch within Blogger.

Anonymous said...

Very insightful - you are likely right putting stuff off comes from a root of needing to be perfect.

I need to check out this NaBloPoMo that you speak off....

Sweet Tea said...

I hate losing a FOLLOWER and it's almost impossible to see who it was you "lost". Not me, GF!

I'm pretty good at finishing what I start, however I do have some days that I feel totally ADD and am distracted the entire day.

Learning at 55? Girl, you're gonna keep on learning about yourself and the world around you your entire life. I find that one of the few beauties of getting a bit older.

Sweet Tea said...

Had to come back to tell you that I lost a FOLLOWER today too. *sigh

Kay said...

I'm thinking the whole follower thing is a fluke with blogger. I keep losing and gaining all the time. I pretty much don't pay much attention to it anymore.