Monday, January 02, 2012

New Years Day Happinin's

For my 366 days of blogging challenge I am going to occassionally follow the NaBloPoM challenge and writing prompts so I don't run of stuff to say. 

Today's prompt was "What did you do on New Years Day."  That is quite easy, not much.  We of course spent the weekend at the cabin with friends.  There was a fabulous dinner of cornish hens, roasted fingerling potatoes and brussel sprouts and I made baked brie and fruit.  Lots of drinking and dancing was involved and three people took a tumble around the rocky porch and yard, one with a knot on his head.  Fun was had by all.  The Hubby and I decided to head back to our little heaven on earth before the new year rang in.  He had a bit more wine than usual and drifted to sleep on the couch about 11 pm.  I was not the least bit tipsy but decided I had better give up the couch while he scrunched down lower and lower.  Asleep I was by 11:45 and was awoken by the distant sound of fireworks at midnight. 

Yesterday morning we both woke feeling just fine, no headache and no remorse!  I was a good girl starting my eating off right.  I had my oatmeal and coffee with no cream (ick) and rushed around to ready for the 55 minute drive home.  I wanted to come home to fix our black-eye peas for good luck.  It is a tradition in my family and in many to have the black-eye peas.  I've never missed a year in my life.  The drive home was a bit weird as The Hubby's truck decided to sound off alarm bells just as we ventured onto the highway!  It said to stop engine NOW!  It's funny that the check suspension light has been on his truck for months and he has not been too worried.  We pulled over, stopped the truck and he checked the oil which read 2 quarts low.  Luckily we were close to a truck stop kind of gas station and pulled in to add some oil.  It was still weird going home but we made it home.  Finally home, the black-eye peas on the fire, a shower, a nap, ah, bring on 2012! 

2 comments:

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Growing up in the west I had never heard about eating black eye peas, shoot, I had never even heard of black eye peas, until I moved to Texas. It turns out that I love them.

Cindy said...

Sounds like you have a fun NYE. We also cooked black eyed peas on New Year's Day for good luck!