Wednesday, July 13, 2011

A Ramble

This morning the clouds have arrived.  It has been a little bit of drizzle and I'm loving it although the weather crew are saying it will make a sauna later today.  I don't care.  I'm enjoying the little bit of relief.  Yesterday when I left art class and stepped outside, the huge rain drops came splatting down and I wanted to dance.  Didn't last long though. 

The red books were a mainstay of our reading library. 
They are called The Children's Hour.

I remember the summer I was fourteen, about 1970, when the summer was nothing but rain, rain, rain.  We even had a time trying to take our swim classes because it rained so much that summer.  That was one of the summers when I spent a weekend at my Greatgranny's in Jay with my cousin Vee.  She introduced me to Trixie Belden books.  She packed tons of books that week in her suitcase and we spent our days laying in bed on the porch reading and reading while the rain came down.  The sound and smell of the rain was wonderful as we lazed around.  Reading has been such a major part of my life.  My mother's motto was if a child can read they can rule their world, or something like that.  She used to read tons of stuff to us, even on road trips when I knew she would get a bit green around the gills, but it was for us.  All three of us LOVE to read.  In her later years she would check out three to five books a week at the library and inhale the words.  We kids had our own library cards and it was a favorite place for us to go on Saturday's.  It's funny how the dark clouds and trickles of raindrops have made me think about Momma and reading. 

3 comments:

Janie B said...

Those are great memories. Don't they leave you all warm and fuzzy inside? That's what memories are for.

Cindy said...

I totally love the Trixie Belden books. Totally!

Nolita said...

Oh I have those same red books! I haven't been to your blog in a while and I was catching up when I saw this post. My sister had ours and gave them to me 3 years ago: http://nolitamorgan.blogspot.com/2008/01/childrens-hour.html

Hope you got some sleep. I was up at 2:30 when the rain hit our area (Norman). So glad to have 2 nights in a row of rain!