Thursday, June 16, 2011

I Dropped Daddy In The Dirt

Tuesday was not a very good day.  Bro asked me to help him with Daddy and the doctor visit.  His back has been an issue and getting Daddy and a wheelchair down two steps has been worrisome for him.  Sure I can help.  First, the wheelchair is a bit old.  In fact, looking through old pictures I found this...it is of me when I broke my leg at age 11, forty-four years ago, I'll be darned, I think it is the same wheelchair that Daddy is using.  It was my great grandmother's.  Could be another one but it is still OLD!
I arrived and we started the decent down the two steps.  The trick is to practically lay the wheelchair, with Daddy in it, down backwards and then easily let it roll down the steps.  Well, those big old wheels just went WHOOSH and Daddy was on his back in the wheelchair.  DRAT!  The tread came off the wheelchair and we quickly got Daddy upright.  Shook me up for sure but Daddy was fine.  Since he was pretty much laying down he didn't fall far but I DROPPED MY DADDY!  I now have a call into the doctor to see about getting a new wheelchair for Daddy through his Medicare.  Brother has been doing this all by himself for a few weeks now and I realize it takes two very strong people.  I also realize, we need a ramp.  So the call, or text message, as that is the only communication with Sis right now, has gone out to possibly build a ramp.  The Bro-In-Law, her hubby, is a carpenter and should be able to help, should being the word to use but not necessarily going to happen.  Okay, I may rant a bit here but Sis has been to see Daddy once in the 4 weeks he has been home and talked to him on the phone once.  She lives not far from him while I live in another town.  He has laundry to do, trash to take out, groceries to buy and just company for him.  I also manage his finances right now too.  Bro has been great with getting Daddy to the doctors.  It takes "ALL" of us but right now we are down a third and not sure why. 

4 comments:

Oklahoma Granny said...

That type of thing happens in LOTS of families.

Janie B said...

I dropped my mother once. I know how guilty it makes you feel, but you know it was an accident. My sister dropped our mother once and ended up hurting her back (sister's back). She is having back surgery next month to repair the damage that was done years ago. It's tough but let it go. You know he understands. ((Hugs))

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

So sorry. Taking care of somebody else like that can be very hard physical work.

Cindy said...

Sorry about your sister situation. Makes a tough situation even tougher.