Wednesday, April 01, 2009

The Guiding Light

I am absolutely heartbroken today. The soap opera, The Guiding Light has been canceled. After 72 years on the air and will cease to air September 18. I have been watching this soap my whole life. My mother was always watching the show when I was a child and I even remember it in black and white. I knew when they started changing the way it was filmed and the story lines were getting ridiculous that they were losing me as a watcher. It will be like losing an old friend and in some respects part of my mother as I identify the show with her. So very, very sad.

6 comments:

Flea said...

I'm so sorry. It's the end of an era.

Char said...

I was that way when they canceled Marlena (Deidra Hall) contract on Days of Our Lives. I grew up with her.

sorry you lost a dear friend in this show.

Kay said...

I don't watch soaps but I did watch ER for a while. I'm sorry that's also ending.

Unknown said...

72 years on tv????????????- my goodness that must be some kind of record
i didnt even realise we had tv 72 years ago, let alone soaps.....
wow.........off to do a google on this xx

Daryl said...

It is very sad .. I watched it when I was working and went to the gym ... back when Laura Wright was Cassie... now she's Carly on GH .. I watch GH and AMC .. I am a soap junkie ... I record them both and watch after the news in the evening .. no better medicine for the lousy news than a silly soap or two ...

nanny said...

Same here! I grew up with Guiding Light and continued to watch it after my mother was gone! But I gave it up about a year ago, it just got ridiculous! I use to have my girls record it on a tape recorder while I was at work and I would listen to it,,,,,can you imagine???? Really sad to see it go anyway! I think they just ran out of people for Reva to marry/ha
It was so good back when Mora and Shane were little.