Friday, February 27, 2009

Finding Time to Write

Last night I went to a 3 hour class at the community college. It was titled "Finding Time to Write" and taught by author Romney Nesbitt, a creativity coach. It was very interesting and I purchased her book hoping to help me get more focused on what I WANT to do. I want to write and paint but finding the time, or making the time seems to elude me. I actually decided something last night. I realized that for years when I thought I was just a procrastinator I was also a perfectionist. I never thought about that before, but it makes sense. I just thought I was a slob and would settle for so-so. I am a procrastinator because I have perfectionist tendencies and I procrastinate because I have trouble meeting the perfection I want to achieve. Does that make sense? Well, sort of in my head. I remember when I was a young, a teenager, doing my hair. I hated my hair and I would work it and work it and would get so frustrated because it was not perfect. I would cry, rip my hair out and throw the hair brush across the room because I couldn't get it right. I've been known to stop a project because there was a mistake or flaw and never finish it. My husband would disagree with me as he is the ultimate perfectionist and that is another problem is that I am trying to meet my perfectionist tendencies plus his. That can make a person crazy, crazy I say. I need to only worry about me and my own perfections.

7 comments:

Char said...

I've been told that too. embrace it and breathe it in. Then let it go - it's ok to make mistakes and once you realize that, it's the most freeing feeling you will have. I know that you have a lot of pressure on you to be responsible with your father's hip and all of that. But, that is part of the perfectionism bug too. Just remember - lots of deep breaths and patience.

Anonymous said...

You WON!!
I'll be sending you the audiobook, "Hissy Fit"!
Congrats!
Stop by my Blog to read-all-about-it!

email me @ lizabluu @aol.com and send me your mailing info. I plan to put it into the mail on Monday.

(M)ary said...

that makes total sense! i think i am the same way about expecting perfection from writing then feeling frustrated which leads to not writing.
also, i hate the lack of immediate feedback when i am writing a story, alone in my room...

Kathryn Magendie said...

I am stopping by in a hurry - thank you for the birthday wishes!

and, one of my brothers lives in OK - near OK city -- Norman? But anyway - he used to do that - throw his brush across the room because his hair was so unruly-or he thought so --this was the 70's when hair was long on guys - well, guess it is now too....

Sometimes we place restrictions on ourselves, don't we? we are our own worst enemies to our creativity!

Anonymous said...

Hello Jill of all trades, I came across this post because I am a creativity coach, and because I've been called a "jill of all trades" even in the media. Good thing I take pride in my Jill-of-all-Tradenesses! A lot of things play out in those with strong 'right brains'.. perfectionism, procrastination.. but also 'percolating.' As creative beings, we have to spend time mulling and musing about a concept - but we tend to beat ourselves up and call it procrastinating. This is because in the eyes of 'the left brain world' we are procrastinating! Oh we are so complex! A great book that helps one understand all of the challenges of being a creative is "The Nine Modern Day Muses and a bodyguard" by Jill Badonsky. It's a fun, and funny book with exercises to work through. You could also check out Jill's site to see if there are muse groups (based on the book) in your area. www.themuseisin.com
In the meantime, yay you for your jill of all tradeness!

Anonymous said...

I am a perfectionist, too, but I try to only take on things I know I can complete. I HATE having unfinished projects.

Jennifer Chronicles (jenx67.com) said...

How great that you were able to attend that class. I've been trying to find the time to read "Writing Down the Bones" by Natalie Goldman. I read it years ago, and it helped my writing then. Happy Wednesday, jen